Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Mail Hosting Question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by synax, Feb 8, 2005.

1. synax

synax Member

We have 2 servers with TP, I am very familiar with our Red Hat/Cpanel server (Server01) but not as much familiar with our windows 2k server (server02)

What I want to do, is host a site on server02 but have the mail hosted by server01.

I know this is possible, my question, how is it done, and second question, can cpanel on server01 control the emails for the site on server02.

I need to find the easiest way to do this as we have 300+ email accounts attached to this domain.

Any help is appreciated.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Three ways:

1. Simply change the MX record for the domain in question to point to an A record that in turn points to the IP address of the windows server (which is presumably running an SMTP server). Then:

remove the domain from /etc/localdomains
    add the domain to /etc/remotedomains (create file if it doesn't exist)

From then on no email for the domain will touch your server (unless it originates from it).

2. Use a smart router in exim where email is received onto your domain and automatically forwarded on to the windows server:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=18201

3. Keep the domain on your server and use a catchall POP3 (Default Address) account and then have the mail server login via POP3 from the windows server to retrieve the email into that mail server.

Edit: though of the third one

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...