The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by platinum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. platinum

platinum Active Member

This is a bit of a weird one, and I'm sort of pulling my hair out over what's going on.

For some reason, every few weeks mail stops working. Mail can't be sent out, and it (seems) can't be received over POP3, but works okay via imap.

Restarting exim and mail related services etc fixes it straight away.

The server used to run cPanel 10, and now is on 11, with no change with this issue. I've tried an eximup --force and checked through the logs, but nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Don't suppose anyone else has a similar issue?
    Cheers :)

2. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

Run cPanel Update

and then

Login via SSH root

and restart cPanel

Command Line is:

/etc/init.d/cpanel restart

This may resolve it completely.

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I doubt updating cpanel would solve this since the same issue exists from cp10 to cp11.

Have you looked at the logs? Are the services connectible from an outside source such as telnet from another server? Are the services showing to be down in whm? What is exim doing when it is in this trouble state, run exiwhat command in ssh. Are you running a firewall of any kind?

Every couple weeks is hard to diagnose. I would suggest gathering all the data you can while it is in this non serving state.

good luck

4. platinum

platinum Active Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll do some more connection testing next time it happens from some outside sources.

The services show as "up" even when it's "down", and yeah we are running apf and bfd.

Very annoying problem, because it usually happens on a sunday night when I'm at home and don't want to spend hours troubleshooting. :p

5. IR Josh A

IR Josh A Registered
    PartnerNOC

I have seen pretty much the same thing. All of our cpanel machines are running fine except for one. Every week or so, smtp stops working on the box. We have to restart exim after which it seems to work fine. So far, we haven't noticed any real pattern.

I would guess that it is related to some kind of load issue but the server does not show high load when this happens. We try to keep up to date with the latest cpanel builds. I would be interested if anyone has any kind of solution to this issue.