The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail loop help

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by trinitycsi, Dec 22, 2009.

1. trinitycsi

trinitycsi Member

Ok this is actually for my own company domain that is on our cpanel server for our clients.

We have the main MX entry on DNS sending to our exchange box. The exchange system only handles 1/2 of our mailboxes, the cpanel system handles the rest. in Exchange I have it sending all unresolved mailboxes back to the Cpanel server, but I am confident what is happening in the cpanel box is routing it right back to the exchange and essentially putting the mail into a loop.

Is there a way to tell the server to accept mail into the system if it is coming from a specific IP address or something? Any help would be appreciated, I really need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks
    Andy

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What is the current e-mail routing setting for the domain name involved?

This may be seen in the following areas:
    cPanel: Main >> MX Entry (Documentation: MX Entry)
    WHM: Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone (Documentation: Edit DNS Zone)
    WHM: Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit MX Entry (Documentation: Edit MX Entry)

The setting may also be obtained via root SSH access; where "username" should be replaced by the actual account username, please let us know the output of the following command:
    Code:
    # grep -i mxcheck /var/cpanel/users/username
    For additional details of the E-mail Routing configuration, including example directives in a cPanel user file, I recommend reviewing the following section in the cPanel 11.25 release notes:
    1.14. MX Editor, Table 5. Email Routing Configuration Directives
    Documentation: cPanel Release Notes
    Code:
    [I]1.14. MX Editor, Table 5. Email Routing Configuration Directives[/I]
    Option,			Directive
    Automatically Detect,	Removes MXCHECK
    Local MX,		MXCHECK-example.com=0
    Backup MX,		MXCHECK-example.com=secondary
    Remote MX,		MXCHECK-example.com=remote

#2 cPanelDon, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. trinitycsi

trinitycsi Member

MX:

10 ops.xxxxxxxxxx.com (exchange server)
    20 mail.xxxxxxxxxx.com (cpanel server)

4. trinitycsi

trinitycsi Member

ok, interestingly enough I got a message to pass into the WHM. I saw it come in in Mailwatch. Scored it as clean and passed it, but it did not show up in the mailbox.

5. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thank you for the MX detail. It will help to know the exact output from the example grep command and it will help to visually confirm what the exiting E-mail Routing setting was configured as (e.g., automatic, local, backup/secondary, remote).

I'm not sure that I fully understand the given details. If possible, please try to restate or rephrase the information.

Here is where I could use some additional clarification to help fully understand:
    1.) Where in WHM was the e-mail seen?
    2.) Was the e-mail an intentional test message, and in which direction was it being sent and received (e.g., from server A to server B)?
    3.) Are the full e-mail headers available?

6. trinitycsi

trinitycsi Member

When I try the grep command, I get nothing back, just another prompt and I replaced cptester with the user name.

Also, I have verified that exim is bouncing the messages back to the exchange server and it is in fact causing a loop. Is there a way to tell exim to accept main locally for the domain if it comes from a specific host (IP or hostname)?

Or am I going about this all wrong? Should I have exim handeling all e-mail and then pass e-mails to the exchange server for the specific e-mail accounts on exchange? (6 mailboxes on exchange, 8 on cpanel server).

7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thank you for double checking the path; I've updated my earlier post to correct the typo (where I meant to type "username" in the path instead of leaving "cptester" from the test system I was using).

Where "domain.tld" should be replaced by the domain name involved, please use the following example command to obtain some additional information:
    Code:
    # grep -Hi domain.tld /etc/localdomains /etc/remotedomains
    If the domain is in the file "remotedomains" then I would suggest moving it to the file "localdomains" so that Exim will accept e-mail for the domain. Please note this can be easily handled via cPanel or WHM setting the aforementioned e-mail routing feature, available when editing a DNS zone or when editing an MX entry, by setting the e-mail routing option to "Local Mail Exchanger" so that Exim will know it should still accept mail even if the MX record points elsewhere. The e-mail routing selection will handle moving a domain from the remotedomains list to the localdomains list and vice versa as needed.

To reduce the mail configuration complexity I recommend using a single system to host e-mail accounts, (i.e., cPanel/WHM: Exim & Courier, or Exim & Dovecot).