The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail not downloading in Outlook, but it is in the inbox on the server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by noimad1, Mar 15, 2007.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Ok, I have a strange one for you guys. I have a customer that has a dedicated server with us. Now, I looked in his server and I can see that there is mail in his "inbox" file. However, when he clicks the send/receive button no mail comes through.

I even set the account up on my own outlook, and sure enough, the mail is not being downloaded.

I can not figure this out. It is not giving any errors, and is going through the send/receive process ok, just no mail being downloaded.

Now, this server was orig. a maildir server, and I converted it back to the mbox using the /scripts/convert2maildir

So I'm not sure if that maybe has something to do with it? Maybe the server is trying to check mail through the maildir system, but is delivering it to the mbox?

Does that sound like a possiblity? If so, I how do i fix it so the server downloads the mail from the correct location?

2. noimad1

Just an update of things i've tried;.

I tried reloading exim.

I tried upgrading cpanel.

Still no help...

3. WillyBoy

WillyBoy Member

I am having the same issue. Some emails do get through to the client, but the bulk of them (over 600) are sitting in the server. I was told to convert to maildir, but I have not done so yet as there seem to be lots of issues with it.
    Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue.
    -WB

4. noimad1

Yea, I was using maildir in the beginning, but had problems with it, which is why I switched him back to mbox. I really need to get this going, so if anyone as ANY suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

5. noimad1

Ok, I believe I found a solution. After looking in my mail logs I saw that I was getting this error:

"scancur opendir("cur"): No such file or directory"

After searching the forums for related topics I came across one that had a suggestion that worked.

I had to do this a few times before it worked for some reason, but it did. Give this a try:

service chkservd stop
    service courier-authlib stop
    service courier-imap stop

Open up /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and set maildir=0 ( if there's no entry there, just add in )

Following, run the following command in sequence:

/scripts/eximup --force
    service cpanel restart
    service xinetd restart
    service courier-authlib restart
    service courier-imap restart
    service chkservd start

6. noimad1

The plot thickens. It turns out even after doing the above anytime the system is rebooted it tries to go back to the maildir, but only for "downloading mail". The mail is still delivered to the mbox "inbox", but when the customer tries to download mail it tries to download them from the "cur" directory or whatever it is....So I had to do the above steps again to get it to work.

Anyone have any ideas on what would be causing this? I would hate to have to do this every time we reboot the server.

7. noimad1

This still seems to happen with this server. Any time the server is rebooted, it converts back to mdir just for when users connect to the server, it tries to download from the cur directory. But mail is still delivered to the "inbox" folder???

8. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think your best bet at this point is to convert to maildir, since that is the preferred mail system, and your exim is wanting to do that anyway... go ahead and take the plunge!

9. noimad1

My only problem with that, is on this shared server, I have a lot of customers who have a lot of sensitive mail stored on the server. And converting to maildir they lose all that mail....

I think part of the problem may be I did the conversion once, and it did not go well, so I converted back. I think that is why it keeps trying to go back and fourth...

10. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not saying that upgrading to maildir is a breeze, but I've never had a problem with losing mail when upgrading to maildir. What typically happens is a 'perceived' loss of mail if the customer uses Webmail or IMAP and doesn't resubscribe to all of their folders after maildir is updated.

The performance of a maildir-enabled system versus a system still using mbox is much much better, especially if you have a lot of people leaving mail on the server or your people are having trouble with thier mailbox being locked when they are trying to access mail. I held off for ages, and it's too bad - because it really was much less of a pain than I expected.

Mike

11. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you don't have too many customers, you can go through and resubscribe their custom folders for them. Not everyone will even have custom folders.

12. noimad1

Alright, you've talked me into it, and I'm going to try this one more time...wish me luck...