The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Not Getting To Other Users On Same Server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mjt1517, May 5, 2006.

1. mjt1517

mjt1517 Registered

I have a few users on the same webserver who cannot receive mail from each other.

They're using off network mail servers (postini).

They say they can send and receive mail to and from users not on my webserver, for example, yahoo.com users.

This was working before Spamassassin was reinstalled, about a week or so ago.

No changes have been made to DNS.

Has anyone had this problem? Are there obvious places I should be looking? (Yes, I'm new at this, and yes, I've been looking high and low for an answer, but maybe I'm not asking the right questions...)

Just like every other newbie with newbie questions, I'm at the end of my newbie rope.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, are there any tutorials out there that show how mail routing should work? If postini's address is listed in the MX record, should exim be touching mail for these users at all? Isn't mail supposed to completely bypass my server, or am I just not understanding the relationship between my server and postini's server?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Michael Taylor

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If the MX record is off-server then you should ensure that the domain(s) are removed from /etc/localdomains and added to /etc/remotedomains (and create that file if it is missing).

3. mjt1517

mjt1517 Registered

Related DNS Question

Ok...first thing Monday morning I will do that.

Now here's a question about the way the zone file is setup...

The MX record points to postini. The A record points to my webserver. But the mail, smpt, pop, and pop3 entries are written as A and point to the webserver's IP address. This was all in place before I was hired, and supposedly it worked before.

If the mail is hosted off server, shouldn't the mail, pop3, smpt, etc be pointing to postini's IP address...or maybe they shouldn't even be in the zone file?

Michael

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Just to make sure the normal stuff to check ..check the quotas on the main user and also on the mail accounts ..and make sure to tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog to see some clues. If you don't see a connection from an external send to your box then I would suspect DNS / MX zone issues. If they can send out but not back to ANY accounts on that main user domain then it's more than likely total quota or a MX / DNS issue .If it's just a couple users on that domain it's NOT dns/mx ..it's email account quota issue. anyway. good luck. tail the mail log and will help you.