The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail only theme

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Slav, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Slav

Slav Well-Known Member

Just wondering how to best implement the mail only theme feature?
    What i mean can it be setup as mailing service for the members? Eg like hotmail but only to private users.....

Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks

2. Mike1984

Mike1984 Member

I think I know the anwser to your question.

The ports for e-mail are on port 2095 or 2096.

Like this -

http://yoursite.tdl:209x*

*X is where you put 5 or 6.

Mike1984

3. Slav

Slav Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike.. but no cigar..... Sorry wasnt clear enough......

:rolleyes:

Anyway what i was thinking was how to use the mail only theme..

As how you could market it and if you could use one domain name and set up a mail service for the group of people ?

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would be worth it to offer a mail only plan? Usually people want to pay less for a mail plan than a hosting plan, but what happens if the user sends thousands of e-mails and uses all of your bandwidth? Are you going to explain to your mail only customers that there is a bandwidth limit? I don't know. I've been contemplating it, but it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

We've been thinking the same thing. We're considering providing email only, but then for safety, we would need TOS to specify bandwidth limits and so on. With mail only, prices would have to be lower, but bandwidth could easily be beyond what the price pays for.

Actually, the other Mike ;) did give the answer you need, partially.

We are set up to do what you want, just haven't decided yet on going ahead. You just need to set up one account for the domain name you are providing email at. When someone signs up, you create a POP account, and they will log in by going to
    http://domain.com:2095 or 2096
    and logging in with their full email address and password. This will take them directly to the page to choose which email program to use. It won't matter which cpanel theme you use because they do not need cpanel.

If for some reason you want them to have a cpanel, like the mail only one, you would need to create a full hosting account for every email. If someone signs up for mike@domain.com, you would need to create an account for mike.domain.com. In that case they will each have a cpanel.

6. Slav

Slav Well-Known Member

Thats great that makes sense and a greta idea,,,.. Thanks for the time to make the input all of you....