The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Celtic Mad, May 23, 2006.

1. Celtic Mad

Celtic Mad Member

I ran a dns report and all is fine except for 3 warns. The 3 warns come under the mail category. The 3 warns are:

Mail server host name in greeting

Acceptance of postmaster address

Acceptance of abuseaddress

How do I fix these?

2. Celtic Mad

Celtic Mad Member

Here's the errors

'Mail server host name in greeting'

-----------------------

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mydomain.com claims to be host localhost.mydomain.com [but A lookup times out]:
    220-localhost.mydomain.com ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Tue, 23 May 2006 05:27:01 -0500 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
    ----------------------------

Here's 'Acceptance of postmaster address'

---------------------------

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to abuse@mydomain.com. Mailservers are expected by RFC2142 to accept mail to abuse.

mydomain.com's abuse response:
    >>> RCPT TO:<abuse@mydomain.com>
    <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later

-------------------------

Finally, here's 'Acceptance of postmaster address'

-------------------------

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers may not accept mail to postmaster@mydomain.com (it is generating a temporary error). Mailservers are required (RFC822 6.3, RFC1123 5.2.7, and RFC2821 4.5.1) to accept mail to postmaster.
    mydomain.com's postmaster response: >>> RCPT TO:<postmaster@mydomain.com> <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later

----------------------------

3. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

For :

Mail server host name in greeting

>> Make sure you have added the host A record for your server hostname, are you able to ping
    localhost.mydomain.com ?

Acceptance of postmaster address
    >> setup the postmaster@yourdomain.com in Cpanel

Acceptance of abuseaddress
    >> setup the abuseaddress@yourdomain.com in Cpanel

4. Celtic Mad

Celtic Mad Member

OK, I have corrected the postmaster and abuse errors but I'm still getting the 'mail server hostname in greeting' error.

I have edited the dns zone from 127.0.0.1 to my servers IP address then edit /etc/hosts to my servers IP but when I go back to edit dns zone and click save, it's giving me a connection to localhost error but it doesn't give me the error when I save my dns zone when it was initially on 127.0.0.1

5. Celtic Mad

Celtic Mad Member

The 'mail server hostname in greeting' is now giving the error:

-----------------

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mydomain.com claims to be host localhost.mydomain.com [but that host is at 127.0.0.1 (may be cached), not 216.32.77.43].

--------------------