The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Lucas, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently got a VPS and I am a little new at everything but I've noticed that e-mails from good companies are being rejected with the following reason:

"hostblahblah is currently not permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client."

My domain is not appearing in /etc/localdomains I add it but any modification or exim restart modifies it. What's going wrong?

Edit: I just did an e-mail traceroute and the VPS server is giving me the old reseller IP on the traceroute. Could it be it hasn't been added to /etc/localdomains because for the VPS is resolving to the old reseller account? I made the DNS change yesterday.

Edit 2: I just pinged from the VPS to my domain and it gave my old reseller address. I have updated the DNS servers in godaddy.com and added the A entires of the DNS servers on the VPS server through the domain. Is something wrong with that or should I just wait?

#1 Lucas, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. blkjck

blkjck Well-Known Member

Go into your DNS on the domain that is rejecting email and put a check mark in "Always accept mail locally even if the primary mx does not point to this server" at the bottom of the page. Apply. If your servers DNS is not picking your machine as the primary MX yet it will give you that message. Once your server picks up the changes it should be ok.

3. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe that worked. E-mails are being delayed a lot tho.

#3 Lucas, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. blkjck

blkjck Well-Known Member

You might be picking up a lot of mails that are now being re-deliveries from servers that have been failing. Once you make changes at godaddy it can take a few days before the changes are noticed. Most pick it up in 24 hours though. run dig or nslookup from your server to see how the DNS your server defaults to. ex
    dig mx mydomain.com
    dig mx mydomain.com @localhost
    Make sure the changes at the old hosting DNS have been updated or removed so not to accept the mail locally there.