The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail queue constantly filled up - is there no solution?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pingo, Mar 12, 2003.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

I have searched on this forum but couldn't find an answer to this problem. Hundreds of the mails are send to 2 accounts on the server. What can I do to stop it. Other clients have complained about mail delivery problems lately - it sometimes takes even days for mails to their account to be delivere. I tried /scripts/mailperm but without any success. Could this be related to WHM 6.0 which I recently upgraded to? Hope that someone here can help.

Thanks
    John

2. Slav

Slav Well-Known Member

We had this issue earlier on also this week i think where the emails were taking anywhere from 6 hrs or more to be sent or delivered. It just fixed itself lo. So not sure why.

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

80% of the mails in the queue were to pop mail accounts for a certain user. I checked to see if he had exceeded his disk quota limit but he hadn't. I also checked to see if his pop mail accounts used alot of space (du -sh /home/username/*), but that was neither the case. I understand that mails will be placed in the queue if they can't be delivered because a users disk quota limit has been exceeded.

So it's a CPanel problem - arrgghh! - well, I guess we just have to wait and hopefully it will fix itself :)

John

4. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

There's a mail queue manager in WHM. Go there and try to deliver one of those emails. Exim will try to deliver and if it can't it will give an error message explaining the reason.

By the way, if it's because the user's POP account quota is exceeded, then I don't understand why you say it is Cpanel's fault, as Cpanel doesn't impose mail quotas (it users who do).

5. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

There's a mail queue manager in WHM. Go there and try to deliver one of those emails. Exim will try to deliver and if it can't it will give an error message explaining the reason.

Thanks for the tip :)

By the way, if it's because the user's POP account quota is exceeded, then I don't understand why you say it is Cpanel's fault, as Cpanel doesn't impose mail quotas (it users who do).

If it ISN'T the users POP account quota... :D, then there must be another reason etc. - the space used by pop mail accounts counts toward the total disk quota, in some causes a lot of space is being used by pop mail accounts..

John

6. Johnnie Nelke

Johnnie Nelke Active Member

Sorry...... I have to disagree. I have mail sitting in queue for no reason. In fact many times the ONLY way it gets delivered is when I force it.

7. hostcp3

hostcp3 Well-Known Member

We also have mail sitting in the queue waiting, forced delivery causes error

cannot send mail box quota full.

upon checking with the client his mail box is actually empty, so we run /scripts/mailperm several times each day which does seem to fix the problem, but pinpointing the cause is not always so simple.

8. Johnnie Nelke

We are trying out a newer version of e**m..... and while it has cured some things..... it has other problems.
    The mail queue builds at a much slower rate than before.... and it does seem to be stable.
    Although we have still only tested this for about 24 hours.
    The ONLY bad thing I can say about it is that you must delete the mail queue via SSH because when you click on "delete mail queue", the next screen only shows a "mail queue deleted" text. Then when you go back to the mail queue...... well, it is all still there and if you try and either directly click on delete or deliver that email..... you will receive and "not found" error
    I can't really say this has helped a whole lot.... the newer version has made very little difference. Even tweaking the file a little hasn't produced much response.

#8 Johnnie Nelke, Mar 12, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  9. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

A tech just wrote a cronjob script to force the mail queue every 30 minutes on the server. I don't know if it will solve the issue, but hopefully¨.

John

10. Johnnie Nelke

I would be interested in seeing that. I think we all would.
    Lets us know if it works please.

11. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

It's to early to say now but a root cron were set as

*/30 * * * * /usr/sbin/exim -qf&

John