The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Queue - Forcing it to start processing ???

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by djblamire, Jul 1, 2009.

1. djblamire

djblamire Well-Known Member

Due to a customer sending out to one of their mailing lists, I have a large number of e-mails in the mail queue since yesterday.

It has stuck at 1,190 e-mails when I check in WHM.

I tell it to 'Attempt to deliver all emails', but the figure isn't going down - just going up.

Is there anything I can do to get it to start processing them ???

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Daniel

2. chrish.

chrish. Member

G'day Daniel,

I'd be most keen to have a look through the Exim logs and see if we can identify a specific delivery issue.

If there's an underlying problem (e.g. dns unavailable, destination host for mailing list RCPT's down, etc) preventing delivery, forcing a retry of the queue won't do heaps.

Say you have one host in the queue whose scheduled to receive a thousand or so messages - if that one host is 4xx'ing you upon initial connect, or, you flat-out can't connect to it, the queue isn't going to move.

If failed connection is indeed the case, it'd be a matter of the usual requisite network troubleshooting bits, e.g. try from a different host, snag a packet capture, etc.

If however, you're getting a 4xx error upon initial connect, you're somewhat limited to engaging the admin of the remote site and working with him or her to find out why they're tempfailing your messages.

3. ChrisFirth

ChrisFirth Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you have SSH access, find the message ID's using "exiqgrep -r <recipient>" or "exim -bp", then you can deliver with "exim -M <message ID>".

If you prefer you can use xargs and awk magic to the above automatically...

eg. To flush total mail queue:

exim -bp | egrep ".*\<.*>.*$" | awk '{print $3}' | xargs -n 1 -P 25 exim -M

You can change the -P argument to a high/lower number if you prefer (its the number of processes xargs will open, so the above command will process 25 messages concurrently).

eg. To deliver all emails to a domain:

exiqgrep -r <domain> | egrep ".*\<.*>.*$" | awk '{print $3}' | xargs -n 1 -P 25 exim -M

#3 ChrisFirth, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. mahdi1

mahdi1 Registered

if we should use SSH and this complix commands when we have errors etc..

WHAT IS THE USE OF WHM???

all this should be in WHM. what is the use of programming if we have to do everything manualy.

this problem is with everybody. and it is related to tweak settings in WHM.

they should split that tweak settings into parts as they did with apache configuration.

5. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This issue is surely due to a problem in your configuration. Every scenario is not equal and you should verify what is causing this issue reading your logs. It may be happening due to a number of things.

I can recommend a good plugin to add some light to the problem, since the native Mail Queue Manager is not as intuitive as it may be. Install the Configserver Mail Queues. That script will allow you to have more control over the state of exim queue. After installing, you'll find it in the Plugins section, at the bottom of the WHM menu.

Code:
    wget http://www.configserver.com/free/cmq.tgz
    tar -xzf cmq.tgz
    cd cmq
    sh install.sh