The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Queue Manage Setup

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Heritz, May 29, 2007.

1. Heritz

Heritz Well-Known Member

Hello everybody,

I've been wondering lately if its really necessary to have the queue manager trying to deliver the messages for like 3 days.

Currently the server tries to deliver the message the first time and lets imagine it couldnt because the destinatary has full the inbox, then the message is being kept in the queue. Why not delete this messages after a few hours instead of keeping them for 3 days wasting CPU?.

Sometimes my queue grows for more than 1000 emails which eats a lot of CPU usage.

What would be a recommended retry setup for the queue manager? Thanks in advance!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Historically, MTA's have been configured to have a retry queue of 4 days. That goes back a long way to cater for hardware or network outages. These days, it may not be necessary to keep emailed queued (and retried) for as long.

Many people do change the queue retry intervals, and it's up to you to find a happy medium between the risk of losing important email being sent against the overhead that this causes.

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For me, 1000 emails in the queue would be a LOT of mail in the queue and I'd be looking for other problems, like a vulnerable webform on the server that is being used for spamming. I'd take a look at some of that mail and make sure that it's not mostly unexplainable spam.

Note: That may not be the case for you. In my case, few of my users use me for smtp and there are no excessive forums or listservers.