The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail queue manager - question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jez9999, Apr 22, 2006.

1. jez9999

jez9999 Well-Known Member

I was just having a look at the exim mail queue manager and there were apparently 2 messages just sitting in the queue. I clicked on 'deliver now' for one of them, and got this weirdness:

Code:
    Delivery attempt for Message ID 1FXHO4-0002d0-Su

Spool data file for 1FXHO4-0002d0-Su does not exist
    delivering 1FXHO4-0002d0-Su
    LOG: MAIN
      Spool file 1FXHO4-0002d0-Su-D not found
    When I went back to the queue, not only that message but the second one had gone, and nothing else had been delivered to the relevant mailbox.

Does this mean exim has just deleted those messages? What has happened to them? I don't understand. By the way, plenty of other messages have been getting through to that mailbox.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When email arrives on a server exim places two files into the spool: one for the routing header information (*-H) and one for the actual email data (*-D). The error indicates that the header file was missing for that email. Since there's nothing that exim can do with a message without that file, it will remove the orphaned data file.

This can happen if exim is rudely interrupted while accepting an email for relaying (e.g. if exim crashes) and I'd suspect that the sender will generate an error as the SMTP connection is abruptly ended and will simply attempt redelivery. If that's thecase, then no email would be lost.

3. jez9999

jez9999 Well-Known Member

It seems like it was actually the data file that was missing?

I just hate exim's tendency to delete stuff when it feels like it. It should keep it anyhow and let me have a look at the body, until I want to delete it. And why did it remove the second entry I previously saw in the queue too?

Frankly I wish cpanel would use something like qmail instead. Simpler, secure and vastly better documentation.