The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Queue Manager

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Estrac, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Estrac

Estrac Well-Known Member

hi, new in cpanel

i have a lot of mails waiting in Mail Queue Manager, why is this? some are spam others are valid emails
    i dont want to be stoped

so

1.- why are this mails there? and how it works?
    2.- how much time would be there?
    3.- if is a valid email, i try to delivered is says that is locked
    4.- is there anyway that Mail Queue lear valid mail / invalid mail?

have 120 mails in Queue :S

i have spam assesin enable, if i suspend antispam any otther way to stop it?

Thanks!

2. Envision5000

Envision5000 Active Member

I also want to know the answers to these questions and would like to know if there is a way to view those emails without delivering them?

3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Within the Mail Queue Manager are the emails being stored, along with bits of time showing how long they have to remain before being removed, etc. Clicking on them will open the message up so you can take a peek. Most times, the headers will show the exact error or reason the email is still in the queue, such as the recipient's mailbox is full, doesn't exist, etc. Or perhaps the next mail server in line isn't responding or ???

At any rate, 120 messages isn't bad, but that all depends on how many accounts you're serving. If there were a large number in there, that could be indicative of some other problem.

As for it reporting as being locked... that's out of my range. I think it usually reports that if you try to do something with it while it's being processed.

This is all assuming mail is still coming and going normally. If nothing is passing, then there are definite problems.

4. Estrac

Estrac Well-Known Member

well, i have like 30 concurrent mails

so,. if i actived / desactive spamassassin will be there ..

i cant / server cant delivered mails, and account exists, and have a lot of space .. .:S

my clients send mails and take to long to arrived .. :S

a lot of "local delivery failed " im gonna update exim in a few minutes, hope fix it

thanks ...

5. Envision5000

Envision5000 Active Member

So basically the Mail Queue Manager is where the email goes when it has no other place to go to?

6. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Until the system gives up on trying to deliver it... yes, that's correct. Eventually, it will be removed from the queue one way or another.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, 120 is not a bad size for your mail queue as Lyttek says. Good ways to keep your mail queue under control are:

1. Make sure no-one is using :blackhole: in /etc/valiases/* and if they are change it to :fail:

2. Use the WHM > Exim Configuration Editor > option to delete email for accounts over quota

3. Use an effective server-wide anti-spam solution, the built-in cPanel one is somewhat weak

thought of another:

4. Probably doesn't apply in your case with such a small mail queue, but if it ever gets into the thousands, then you more than likely have a spammer on the server and should investigate the headers of some of those emails in the queue to check whether that is a possibility

#7 chirpy, Dec 2, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  8. Estrac

Estrac Well-Known Member

well

let me tell you that i solve the problem using filters, upgrade exim, and desactive vaild emails

now everything is fast, to fast, i can send 1 mail and take less than 1 second to delivered, (before will take like 3 min) :(

now everything is ok, thanks ! :- )
    now i have mailman problems lol and dns

trying to fixing .. :- )

thanks !

9. poppyq

poppyq Well-Known Member

There are currently 8268 messages in the mail queue.

So that's a problem. The main cause is that someone spammed from another server and set a client's email as their reply-to address so it's all being bounced back to my server. However, that's not the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that regular emails are getting stuck in the queue because of this and if I manually click on deliver now they will go through fine. This includes a few I tested that had been sitting there for 13 days. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem? I set up exim config to block stuff that's in sbl lists and such but it's not helping much.