The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail quotas not working

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Celta, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Celta

Celta Member

Hi,

I've noticed that on my server, mail quotas are not working as expected...
    If I (or one of my customers) set a limit of X Mb for a mail account.. it continues receiving mail as usual when quota has been exceeded :confused:

I've tried even with the exim tweak in WHM "Exim configuration editor -> Discard emails for users who have exceeded their quota instead of keeping them in the queue"

Please, any ideas on how to solve it ?

Thanks in advance.

#1 Celta, Nov 17, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  2. Celta

Celta Member

Well.. not exactly as I've said in my previous post...

The problem is that under cpanel "Mail accounts" shows a bigger space used that the real size of the mailbox. I suposse it is the sum of inbos, outbox, trash, etc.. and mail quota only takes care for inbox size.

Also I've noticed that if I configure my mail POP client to not to delete messages from server, cppop creates a 2nd. file (inbox.pop) with a size very near to "inbox" file, so disk space is doubled, and the sum is shown in cpanel "mail accounts manager", so what users really are seeing is that their accounts size used is bigger that quota specified.

Anyone knows one solution for this ?

And one more thing (and more important, though) is that when a mailbox has exceeded it's quota limit, sender of the message is not receiving any "disk quota exceeded" message, so they think the mail has been received while it is going to limbo :(
    I supposse there must be a way to configure exim to reply senders when mailbox is full.. but can't find it anywere...

Can somebody tell me where to look for it ?

Thank you again

3. Celta

Celta Member

no one has a clue ? :(

4. impact

impact Member

I'm lost I have an account that CPanel is telling me has 126.72 megs of junk in the account and every email client reports 20megs of garbage in the account.

The guy does have a ton of attachments, but no where near 127 megs.

If I search the server the INBOX file is around 20 megs, so I assume the rest is in files like trash, drafts or other stuff like that.

I'm lost, anyhelp would be great

5. ServIntJim

ServIntJim Member
    PartnerNOC

One of our clients is experiencing the same problem. We have a ticket open with cPanel stating:

The mail quotas seem to be reporting very inaccurately. If you look in NeoMail for this account, you'll see there is about 330K of mail. Yet in the "Mail Account Maintenance" section, cPanel reports upwards of 24megs.

We upgraded to the latest version of cPanel:

WHM 8.8.0 cPanel 8.8.0-R73
    RedHat 7.3 - WHM X v2.1.2

But the problem remains the same. On the server itself, you can see how
    much mail the account has:

-rw-rw---- 1 marinerk mail 324842 Feb 12 09:14 inbox
    -rw-rw---- 1 marinerk marinerk 0 Jan 7 18:11 neomail-trash

So unless that 24meg figure is derived from a combination of the above, plus some other factor that I'm unaware of, I can't figure out where the discrepancy is coming from.

I will post here when cPanel responds to this ticket, or we find a solution.

6. mitti

mitti Registered

Has anyone found what causes this? I'm having the same troubles.

-Aaron Mitti

7. Lion4H

Lion4H Member

Has anyone found what causes this? I'm having the same troubles.

8. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I am also having this problem as well. A client has about 70 email accounts set up and has assigned quotas to them. Their main account is currently 150 MBs over their quota and it's because of their email. About half of their email accounts are all over their quota. If one has a quota of 10 MB, it is currently using 19.76 MBs. Another has a quota of 5 and is using 50.

What gives? What's the point of setting a quota if it doesn't work? If the quota is reached, an email should be returned to the sender stating that the quota has been reached.

9. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I opened a ticket about this and here's the response I received:

It seems kind of strange that it would just include the inbox file and not the entire directory located at mail/domain.com/usersdirectory. I asked them if they could add support for this in a future version.

10. bigjohn

bigjohn Well-Known Member

i've been told the same by my host - the quota is only on INBOX... And, to be blunt, that's just plain bull-sheite....

It should encompass the entire mail user directory.

The way it works now would be similar to my host giving me 5gb of storage - but that only effected Public_Html. If i created subdirectories I could store 90GB without warning or notice....

So, who's the dumb-arse who coded this bit? Care to fix it? After all, you charge 2 arms and a leg for this bit of software....

John

11. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Ahem.

Please do not start flame wars in our forums.

Name calling, political, religious and OSP (Operating System Preferrence) debates are not going to be tolerated. This includes programmers, presidents, electoral candidates, film producers, any of their family, their dogs and cats etcetc. Next time I will terminate your account(s). There are plenty of places for this sort of childish mud slinging outside our forums. The goal of the forums is to help each other, name calling does *nothing* to help the process of getting problems fixed, and in fact hinders it greatly (read above thread.)

For those having problems with this, please add the ticket number so the techs who read this forum can find it in the system, otherwise your chances of getting help on a particular ticket/problem grows much slimmer.

12. bigjohn

appology

Of course, you'll note in my initial post, that I am simply trying to find out why the Email quota system does not work (or is reported by many to not work) as one would expect - why the creating of subfolders in a mail account seem to allow that mail account to break quotas.

I wish to resolve this because, the problem of folders breaking the quota is to me just as bad as a user making subdomains and thereby being allowed to exceed his storage limits.

I have no "ticket number" as I am a simple end-user of this Cpanel product. Jeff - further up in the thread - indicated that support's response to his ticket was to confirm that this problem exists....

I have a problem with Mr. thaphantom's attitude and complete lack of helpful input, and I'm sorry that rather than PM to him I posted my reply in the forum.

That said, the (quota) problem still exists and I have no idea how to resolve it.

John

#12 bigjohn, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  13. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Quotas are a pretty tricky thing. System quotas have to be built into the kernel, so that with each file access the system can keep track of how many bytes and files each UID/GID has. Since each cPanel account can have multiple mail users under it (all files owned by the uid/gid of the main account), system quotas can not be used per user@domain.tld. Without being able to use system quotas, and further "quota" monitoring must be done on the application level. Since most protocols do not force or allow for a header that says how large a transfer is, the best an application can do is check that the file it's writing to is not already over quota. If user1@domain1.tld has an inbox quota of 10MB, then it can be 9.99MB and will still accept mail since it does not know if the mail will be 120bytes or 120MB.

bigjohn, the above explains why creating subfolers allows mail users to break quotas, and while not an ideal solution, it's the only one I'm aware of. Even as an end-user you can submit a feature request to have the quotas checking done on the entire user's mail directory rather than just their inbox, however that functionality would come with a fairly large performance hit since it would have to recursively stat all files in the direcotry and tally them.. The feature requst form is @ https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/index.cgi?support=1

The inital post mentioned how even if the inbox is already over quota, it still accepts mail. For this a tech would need to investigate since that is obviously broken.

I hope I didn't confuse the situation more :)

14. bigjohn

maybe this is a feature that is better built into the Exim program?

15. ehpmahesh

ehpmahesh Well-Known Member

Hello
    I have a problem, i just upgraded my Cpanel having 9.9.9. statble 15 version of Cpanel. Now my problem is when i am deleting any mail from the Neomail it is giving me the error as
    "Couldn't close neomail-trash!"undefined. I am not able to find out the problem. Please tell me what i have to do to solve this problem.

Thank You