I will, of course, pass on any information when I receive it to keep you up to date.Thank you for your ticket. I believe our developer team is aware of this issue and we are working on a solution. I will escalate this ticket to our higher level support and we will provide an update when further information becomes available. Thank you kindly for your patience.
I did, didn't work - tried all the suggested solutions in this thread, nothing seems to take hold, maybe the fix didn't go as smoothly as planned.xprt5 said:This was supposed to be resolved in yesterdays "nightly" build by Nick.
Try removing the "maildirsize" file for an affected account then login cPanel for that user so it refreshes the cached info then see if this issue re-appears or not to confirm.
I just made the bugzilla entry yesterday - since there wasn't one and people continued to show the issue - I am just waiting for some sort of post there or offical word, some clients are getting edgy, but hopefully they'll hold out a little longer.ExtremeIS said:Cpanel Support said if I update to edge this issue should be corrected, otherwise I would have to wait a few days for the developers to put out a current/release build. I went ahead with the edge upgrade and the problem continues.
This is very annoying to say the least. There is also a bugzilla report of this that still shows unconfirmed even though clearly the bug exists.