cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The fixes are in the newest Current builds. When the next Stable release happens, it will also contain these fixes.

Release has not been updated, thus does not have these fixes. Please don't ask about updating Release as I have no control over that, nor have knowledge of its next update.

For those who are running the newer versions of Current (10.9.0-70 and Higher), please let us know whether the mail quotas are still broken. To be on the safe side, make certain to try the following first:

1. /scripts/generate_maildirsize --force --allaccounts

2. /scripts/buildeximconf

Again, for clarity, buidls released before Nov 16, 2006 do not contain these fixes. Please do not continue reporting those. Please only report buidls that occur on or after Nov 16, 2006.

Thank you.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
New stable (77) and Release (76) are the wild which should fix this problem.

If you still experience this issue after updating/upgrading to either of these, please report. Thank you.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
/scripts/generate_maildirsize --force --allaccounts does work once however as soon as new email is delivered to the inbox the quota breaks again.

This is the same on the new 77 stable version.
Could you give me a little more detail please:

1. Is the Disk Space Used figure higher or lower than actual space used?

2. When new mail arrives, is an entry added to maildirsize?

3. What is the entry added in #2?

4. Are you using boxtrapper?

5. If you delete maildirsize, is it regenerated the next time mail is delivered?

6. If yes to #5, are subsequent email's being accounted for?

7. When mail is deleted, are appropriate entries being added to maildirsize?

8. Which email clients are being used to read/send/move/delete mail?

9. Do you have any custom configuration in exim.conf or the courier imap conf file?

nettigritty

PartnerNOC
Jan 21, 2004
Bangalore, India
seeing this issue on just one of our servers:

Always higher.
Actual space used: 0
Reported: 6MB ... keeps increasing as new mails come.

Yes

10485760S,0C
0 0
7056406 1

No

5. If you delete maildirsize, is it regenerated the next time mail is delivered?
Yes

Yes. New mail came in and a new entry was added to maildirsize
52428800S,0C
0 0
7056406 1
3911785 1

Yes

52428800S,0C
0 0
7056406 1
3911785 1
-7056406 -1

Tested in squirrelmail now

9. Do you have any custom configuration in exim.conf or the courier imap conf file?
what counts as custom configuration? just the regular Clam, RBLs, HELO tests, SURBL etc. nothing fancy

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
seeing this issue on just one of our servers:

Always higher.
Actual space used: 0
Reported: 6MB ... keeps increasing as new mails come.

Yes

10485760S,0C
0 0
7056406 1

No

Yes

Yes. New mail came in and a new entry was added to maildirsize
52428800S,0C
0 0
7056406 1
3911785 1

Yes

52428800S,0C
0 0
7056406 1
3911785 1
-7056406 -1

Tested in squirrelmail now

what counts as custom configuration? just the regular Clam, RBLs, HELO tests, SURBL etc. nothing fancy
Thansk for that info. I noticed the quota changed (the very first line in the maildirsize file) between answer #3 and #6. Did you change it?

Also, for clarity sake, is the behaviour the same when receiving small messages (< 100K), only with large messages or both?

Custom editing means directives and other things you added manually (perhaps tweaking an option or installing something not offered via the WHM/cPanel interface).

cinusik

Jul 31, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Nettigritty:
make sure that you don't have
Code:
maildir_use_size_file
entries in your exim.conf
If you have them, than remove all 4 occurencies or just comment them out. Restart exim.
This should help you with your issue.
Maildirsize files will be not created after this change.

Last edited:

nettigritty

PartnerNOC
Jan 21, 2004
Bangalore, India
Thansk for that info. I noticed the quota changed (the very first line in the maildirsize file) between answer #3 and #6. Did you change it?

Also, for clarity sake, is the behaviour the same when receiving small messages (< 100K), only with large messages or both?

Custom editing means directives and other things you added manually (perhaps tweaking an option or installing something not offered via the WHM/cPanel interface).
the first line in response 6 should be different. i just pasted the entry which came after the deletion (-7056406) and removed the last line to show that the new mail got accounted. let me know if you want the exact values again.

nettigritty

PartnerNOC
Jan 21, 2004
Bangalore, India
Nettigritty:
make sure that you don't have
Code:
maildir_use_size_file
entries in your exim.conf
If you have them, than remove all 4 occurencies or just comment them out. Restart exim.
This should help you with your issue.
Maildirsize files will be not created after this change.
if i do this, maildirsize no longer records changes when mails come and get deleted but the file maildirsize is still getting created when a new email ID is setup.

In effect, the mailbox usage remains zero till i manually delete the maildirsize file after which it seems to report correctly.

how do i stop new email IDs from getting the maildirsize file?

jameshsi

Oct 22, 2001
New stable (77) and Release (76) are the wild which should fix this problem.

If you still experience this issue after updating/upgrading to either of these, please report. Thank you.
I am using:
WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-R57
CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

I know I should upgrade to a newer version, by click the update to the latest version in WHM, but how can I upgrade to the stable (77) ? Is that mean 10.9.0-S77 ?

Sep 4, 2003
I am using:
WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-R57
CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

I know I should upgrade to a newer version, by click the update to the latest version in WHM, but how can I upgrade to the stable (77) ? Is that mean 10.9.0-S77 ?
If you make sure that WHM is set to go to STABLE from "Update Config" then click update cpanel, it will place WHM on the latest stable which is 77 :)

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We identified two more problems with the disk usage display calculation. The next build will have those fixes.

If anyone is experiencing email bounces due to this problem, and is using the most recent version of Release, Stable or Current, would you mind opening a support ticket ATTN: Kenneth, thank you.

andyf

Jan 7, 2002
UK
We identified two more problems with the disk usage display calculation. The next build will have those fixes.

If anyone is experiencing email bounces due to this problem, and is using the most recent version of Release, Stable or Current, would you mind opening a support ticket ATTN: Kenneth, thank you.
Kenneth,

Are we to read between the lines that all problems should be fixed, and the fix applied to RELEASE and STABLE?

Thanks.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Kenneth,

Are we to read between the lines that all problems should be fixed, and the fix applied to RELEASE and STABLE?

Thanks.
All problems we were able to either 1) replicate in our test lab; or 2) identify and resolve in a support ticket are resolved in all current builds (excluding Edge) , with the finaly two fixes to be resolved with the next build, whether that is Stable, Release or Current.

Aside from the last two fixes mentioned, which apply solely to the Disk Usage displayed and do not impact the quota, we have resolved every issue that falls into the 2 criteria mentioned above. Hence my request, both here and in the Bugzilla report, for people experiencing unresolved issues (mail bouncing due to this issue) to file support requests as we are unable to replicate that problem with the builds issued during the last two weeks.

carluk

Sep 2, 2003
Who knows. They haven't updated the changelog to say what's changed since 75. :mad:

DigiCrime

Nov 27, 2002
So where do we stand right now on builds, checking layer1 shows newer builds then what I have (Manually updated mine) our builds are R79) so are all builds now fixed with this quota error?