The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail reaching late

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by centaur777, Nov 11, 2005.

1. centaur777

centaur777 Active Member

Hello All

Have a Dual Xeon with 1 GB DDR running WHM. The following issue has been bugging me for some time now.

1. Off late my cutomers have been complaining that they are receiving some mails few hours LATE. Sometimes the mail does not reach them at all.

It does not show up in SPAM Box, nor does it bounce back. What could be happening to the mail?

I checked and found that:
    Server load is very very low. Mail queue is not over 1000 messages. DNS seems OK. Reverse DNS is setup. Exim runs every 30 minutes and settings are deliver_queue_load_max = 4 auto_thaw = 1d ignore_bounce_errors_after = 1d, timeout_frozen_after = 1d

2. Is there a log where one can check what mails were received and what was done with those incoming mails?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Probably the best thing to try is to get the headers of one of the late delivered emails and then search the exim_mainlog for the whole transaction to see if there's an apparent reason for the delay:

grep <message-id> /var/log/exim_mainlog

I've only see real delays if either:

1. Emails are being queued due to high load

2. If using MailScanner, that there's a backlog which you can establish in /var/log/maillog

3. It's being delivered late to your server

4. Users don't understand the concept of timezones ;)

3. centaur777

centaur777 Active Member

Thanks for the input.

No load, No Mailscanner (as yet) and Timezones are synchronised.

Please excuse my paranoia about server security. I have restricted SSH access only to my ISP (and Cpanel) Support Teams using TCPWrappers.

Is there a way (in WHM etc.) to view exim_mainlog without using SSH?

Is it possible to examine separate domains' incoming-mail logs?

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

The only thing that causes this for me is accounts over quota. I find that users are near the limit of their quota and when they check mail to make room they finally see emails recently delivered by exim after a successful overquota retry. In fact I get so much of these it's about 50% of my support work load. Clients don't always notice the emails came late but notice they are not getting emails that they expect. We up the quota and they get a ton of emails and of course they are late. this could be your issue.

5. centaur777

centaur777 Active Member

I am monitoring several accounts on several domains that are way-under quota. What 'rpmws' has mentioned above is not valid in my issue, but thanks for the comment :)

Since I have restricted SSH access only to my ISP (and Cpanel) Support Teams using TCPWrappers, I would still like to know the following:

Is there a way (in WHM etc.) to view exim_mainlog without using SSH?

Is it possible to examine separate domains' incoming-mail logs?

Are there any reasons for late mail delivery (other than what Chirpy has mentioned)?

#5 centaur777, Nov 11, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  6. centaur777

centaur777 Active Member

Chirpy thanks for your inputs above.

Can you please let me know the following:

1. Is there a way (in WHM interface etc.) to view /download exim_mainlog without using SSH?

2. Is it possible to examine separate domains' incoming-mail logs?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Hi,

1. No, you cannot view that log file through WHM normally. You could install one of the few WHM third-party addon scripts that allow you to use your browser to navigate your server as root.

2. Not as such, no. All email activity is in the /var/log/exim_* files. You would have to do a domain search to get all the relevant activity using something like:

exigrep domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog

8. hostserve

hostserve Well-Known Member

Good morning All,

Chirpy, is there some kind of "how to" document online that would give us more details about this message delay?

I'm seeing it on some of my servers, even though the load is low...

10:46:31 up 10 days, 19:09, 1 user, load average: 0.66, 1.02, 0.96

Server load on this server (as shown above) is from what I can see next to perfect, and yet i'm still getting complaints that mail is slow, that people's e-mail is being bounced back because the server is not responding fast enough etc etc...

Any suggestions???