The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail redirect doesn't change sender when expanding

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by psu, Sep 3, 2014.

1. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I am a beginner at servers and emails, but I will try to explain my problem to the best of my ability. Please just ask if you need more information / I have not added enough, and I will try to find it.

I have one main e-mail adress (let's say, contact@domain.com) for my organization. Any email sent to this email shall be forwarded to 15-20 members of the organization, to their own private inboxes. Some of them use the their university email as their private mail. Some of them use gmail, and also want to be able to respond with their @domain.com adress. My problem is that both forwarding and user level filtering seems to bug.

Forwarder
    Advantage: The emails are forwarded fine. I have yet to experience a problem with this.
    Disadvantage: If I create an email account, I have to manually delete all the emails from the server (to avoid using my limited capacity). If I don't create an account, gmails new security protocols won't let me send email from @domain.com.

User Lever Filtering / redirect
    Advantage: Gmail now let's me send mail from @domain.com.
    Disadvantage: The emails are being stopped by my universities spam filter, because of "False Sender". It seems the redirect does not change the from: email (or something like that).

Do you have any suggestions? I have no idea how to solve this problem and have been stuck in phone calls for hours.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Are you able to consult with the email administrator of the mail server to see if you can whitelist email forwarded from a specific domain name or server?

Thank you.

3. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    They could, but they do not want to. Instead they suggest using a list. However, with the mailman in cPanel, I cannot find a way to automatically forward emails from anyone to the whole list.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With a mailing list, all members/users would have to subscribe (or you could subscribe them), and any emails sent to the list is delivered to all of the subscribers.

Thank you.

5. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    As far as I have understood, by using mailman only approved users can send emails TO the list. How can I turn this function off (so that anyone can email the list)?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Per Mailman's documentation:

To allow unrestricted posting:
    Go to your list's "General Options" page, then to "Privacy Options" > "Sender Filters."
    Scroll to page bottom and select "Accept" next to the option "Action to take for postings from nonmembers for whom no explicit action is defined."
    Finally, click the "Submit Your Changes" button

Thank you.

7. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Great, thank you! One last (and hopefully quick) question. It might be in a manual before, but I don't completely understand what it means (though I believe both you and my Universities web admins does). They want the list to forward emails with e.g. a "kontakt-request@psu.no", instead of the original senders email adress, while still keeping the "reply to" adress the same. Does this happen automatically with the mailing list, or will I have to change any settings?

Thank you so much for your help. My knowledge in web administration is extremely limited, so thus I might be asking "dumber" questions than normally. Just wanted you to know that I appriciate your help.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mailman emails are "from" the individual email account user, and the "reply-to" is to the mailing list address. This way users can communicate directly back to a thread on the list. Are you seeking to reverse this behavior?

Thank you.