The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Server confusion

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by donlange, Feb 6, 2015.

1. donlange

donlange Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please help :)

While logged into WHM, I added a second MX Destination to the domain I’m hosting under cPanel/WHM, let’s call it: example.org. The first MX entry in the table (located at Home >> DNS Functions >> Edit MX Entry) shows example.org with a priority of 0 (zero). The second mx entry which I added manually indicates: mail###.externalhost.com with a priority of 10 (ten). This second entry, mail###.externalhost.com, is what I want to use as a backup mail server in case my WHM mail server goes offline. I have the “Automatically Detect Configuration” selected.

First question: when I added the domain, example.org, to the list of accounts under WHM it created the first MX Destination automatically without the mail. prefix to example.org. Why was the mail (subdomain or host) not incorporated into the MX entry?

Upon examination of the DNS zone for example.org, I noticed an MX record had been automatically added to the bottom of the RR table associating example.org to mail###.externalhost.com with a priority of 10; however, there was no CNAME record added for the remote mail server. Previously, I had the DNS zone for example.org configured (and working!) such that all mail went through mail###.externalhost.com; however, I needed an MX record and a CNAME record because the hosting provider (externalhost.com) has mail.example.org configured with nonidentical MX and CNAME data (pointed-to) fields.

So... the next question is, do I need to add a CNAME record to the DNS zone for example.org in order for the backup (remote) mail server to send and receive mail.

One last question for now: Upon checking the MX entry interface inside the cPanel account for example.org, I noticed that Automatically Detect Configuration is selected; however, it also says: Local (recommended). Which is correct in this case, auto or local?

Thank you very much!
    Don

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's assumed an "A" record exists for the domain name pointing to the IP address of the cPanel server. You can change the default behavior by modifying the zone templates at:

"WHM Home » DNS Functions » Edit Zone Templates"

Yes, you have to ensure the CNAME or A entry exists for the mail server name you have used in the MX record. Otherwise, the MX record will not resolve to a mail server.

This is used to determine if the domain name is added to the /etc/localdomains or /etc/remotedomains file. In the event email for this domain name is handled on a remote mail server at some point, then "Automatically Detect Configuration" is the best choice.

Thank you.