The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail server (exchange) redirected revisited

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by AlexF, Jan 30, 2005.

1. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

I currently have the MX record pointing to exchange not exchange.domain.com. and an A record for exchange pointing to the IP. All is well and they are receiving their mail but if you ping mail.domain.com is shows the host servers IP address. Is there any way to have this point to the external exchange server?

I should mention that I have not removed the domain from etc/localdomains nor added them to secondarymx.

Thanks

2. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

1)

MX pointing to exchange and exchange.domain.com. are the same. If you just say exchange (without dot at the end), current $ORIGIN will be appended to that which makes it exchange.domain.com.

Anything ending with a dot is a Fully Qualified Domain Name and wont be further appended with the $ORIGIN. So that part is over.

2) Now for mail.domain.com to point to your exchange server, add this much

mail IN A your_exchange_server_IP or
    mail.domain.com. IN A your_exchange_server_IP (note the dot at then end of domain.com.)

3) That simply wont work. If the mails sent from server is working fine (received by the exchange server), then you dont have the domain's entry in localdomains.