The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail server issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Tapan, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Tapan

Tapan Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am the root user of the server. And i am using CPanel/WHM. I have set "Default catch-all/default address behavior for new accounts" option tp "blackhole".

Now the problem i am facing is that all emails belong to my clients which are being sent from php scripts to people and if a email address to which the email is sent does not exists then when the bounced email comes back..

i am getting the bounced mail and not the actual client (the account holder) as a result i am getting all the bounced back emails.

How do i resolve this ? My server admin is unable to fix the issue.

Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

For starters, you should be using :fail: and not :blackhole: as has been mentioned often enough now:
    http://www.configserver.com/free/fail.html

As for bounces, you need to ensure that the PHP scripts specify the From: and Return-Path: header records of a valid email address when they use the mail() command. If they are already doing that, then the only definite resolution is to enable phpsuexec.

3. Tapan

Tapan Well-Known Member

Hi,

Okay i have set it to fail. Now how to install phpsuexec ? and i have heard its not really good and can make php scripts not to work at all.

Is that true ?

What will i be facing if i get this phpsuexec installed ?

Thanks.

4. Tapan

Tapan Well-Known Member

Hi,

Earlier in my shared server i was not using phpsuexec and i never recieved any email from any account. But now on this new server why this is happening ? Isn't this odd ? Should'nt the email bounce back to users's default account instead of me ?

Thanks.

5. neonix

neonix Well-Known Member

A quick workaround will be to open an email account on yahoo.com or gmail.com and redirect 'nobody''s mail to these addresses.

You can do this from WHM > mail preferences

6. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

phpsuexec is *not* enabled on our server, but (much to my surprise) this worked for me without editing exim.conf as some have suggested (note the -f option in the 5th parameter $more). Running this genericised script successfully delivered the bounced/failed message notification back to myaddress@mydomain.com *without* setting either the reply-to or return-path addresses. I'm running exim-4.52-7.

PHP:

<?php
    $to               
    "nonexistentperson@test.com";
    $from           "myaddress@mydomain.com";      
    $subject        "the subject";
    $message     "the message";
    $headers      "From: $from";
    $add_parms  "-f$from";

mail($to$subject$message$headers$add_parms);

?> 

p.s. This forum posting http://forum.cpanelhosts.com/viewtopic.php?t=319 alerted me to the '5th variable', but I didn't need to add untrusted_set_sender = *@+local_domains to exim.conf as suggested by faldran for it to work on my server. Result!

7. spaceman

This from http://au3.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

We're running exim, so I'm assuming that if the advice for sendmail users is to add trusted users to /etc/mail/trusted-users, then equivalent advice for exim users is to add untrusted_set_sender = *@+local_domains to exim.conf ?

8. spaceman

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec.html

But I reckon

untrusted_set_sender = *@+local_domains

is better because then at least you've got some restriction (members of local_domains) on who can set the -f option, as opposed to no restriction whatsoever (which spammers, viruses tend to like).

9. spaceman

Ha! I just looked at exim.conf on one of our servers, and lo and behold, right at the top of the script:

Job done! So all I have to do is to set the 5th php mail() function parameter to -fuser@domain.com and it should be all good (for bounced messages to get back to user@domain.com). I don't like making custom edits to exim.conf because it's probably one of those files that cPanel takes upon itself to auto-update, thereby overwriting my changes.