The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail server on VPS server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hzzg6y, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hzzg6y

hzzg6y Registered

1. I have cpanel installed on Rackspace cloud VPS server. I have one domain named example.com pointed to one static IP given by them. For this pointing, I have to use the Rackspace Control panel having A, Cname & MX record.

I need to understand now how do we add other domains on Cpanel to point at the same server. Objective is to create as many as email id with different domain names.

Domains which I plan to add are registered with Godaddy & having Rackspace nameservers dns1.stabletransit.com & dns2.stabletransit.com

1. Do I need to run my own Bind service.
    2. Do I need two more static IP for having my own Name server ( ns1.example.com , ns2.example.com )

Please advice

2. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

- Configure your cpanel server to use names server dns1.stabletransit.com & dns2.stabletransit.com
    - Create domains as normal using WHM
    - update your domain mx record to point to the cpanel ip in stabletransit.com
    - you don' t need separate dedicated ip for this
    - Since your domain zones are kept outside you don't need to run bind on the cpanel server

hope that helps

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    1. BIND is available to run on cPanel and cPanel DNSONLY, a free standalone DNS server that integrates with your cPanel servers. If possible, I recommend having your registered name servers DNS hosted on your cPanel and or cPanel DNSONLY servers so that you do not have to rely upon manually updating DNS records managed in your Rackspace control panel.
    2. A static, dedicated IP address is required for each registered DNS/name server; however, this IP address can be the same as your (shared) main server IP address. If you have two servers with cPanel you may have each serve as a DNS/name server for your hosted domain names. Typically, you may only need additional static, dedicated IP addresses if you need to install an SSL certificate on a site that requires SSL/HTTPS access (such as for e-commerce transactions or to secure HTML forms where sensitive data is submitted).

As I am not familiar with the specific requirements of the described service from Rackspace, if I may have misunderstood, please try to elaborate by providing additional details for clarification.