mail storage on another partition ?

bejbi

PartnerNOC
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi,

Has anyone tried to do symlink /home/USER/mail to a folder on a separate partition?

The idea is that the customer account should be on NVMe disks and the storage for e-mails should be on SSD disks.

I see a few features request from 5 years ago, but they are not being continued and not implemented.

Does anyone use such a solution with symlink? I wonder about the potential threats that could arise?

:wq

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! In general, symlinking anything inside the /home/username directory doesn't work well due to ownership and permissions across partitions and directories. The best solution would be to move the entire account over to a separate partition, although I know that isn't what you're looking for.

One of our email developers did reply to Store Email on a different partition. about two months ago, mentioning they are looking into the option, although I'm not aware of active development work happening. I did see your post there as well, and you're correct that the distributed nodes will happen sooner and could be a good option as well.

bejbi

PartnerNOC
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Thank You,

We did tests:

e-mails on another partition using symlinks causes:

1. backup don't work (cpanbackup doesn't follow symlink, jetbackup the same)
2. e-mail disk size is counted as "Other usage" not like "E-mail usage" in cPanel

So it is not good solution to have e-mails on another partition.

======

About mail-node:

It is great solution, but there is two problems (one big, second smaller):

1. lack of DEDICATED IP on mail-node - many customers are buying dedicated IP only for e-mails - to sent out his e-mail via dedicated IP. This settings doesn't work on mail-node (dedicated IP is only for apache on master-node, not on mail-node). Even editing manually: /etc/mailip on mail-node, it is always overwritten on exim reconfiguration.
This is main reason that mail-node is UNUSABLE. If it would be corrected, I will imprement mail-node right now ! I'm waiting for this.

2. problems with backups (Jetbackup is not supported mail-node) - I know it is cPanel independent, and is probably easy to make walkaround (make manually backup or other). It is not key problem, but it is ...

I would like implement mail-node into production when dedicated IP for outgoing e-mail will be implemented.

:wq

Reactions: cPRex