The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail subdomain gone

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lostground, Mar 11, 2004.

1. lostground

lostground Registered

Everything was working just fine with my mail until around 1am this morning, when Outlook Express started telling me it couldn't connect to the mail server. It apears that my mail.mydomain.net no longer exists (for reasons I can't fathom). I added it back, and the MX entry is back to mail.mydomain.net (it had changed to mydomain.net when the mail subdomain disappeared), but Outlook still can't find it. This is the error it gives me:
    The host 'mail.mydomain.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'test@mydomain.net', Server: 'mail.mydomain.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I'm currently accessing my mail by having changed the ingoing and outgoing servers to www.mydomain.net, but I'd really like to be able to restore things to how they were before everything went screwy. Also, for anyone having problems getting to their files with the "My Network Places" under windows, I ran into this problem also and found that it seems to work if you alter the Network Place name to include the "www." I don't know why, but at this point I'm just happy to have *something* work.

2. BrightAdmin

BrightAdmin Well-Known Member

Hi,

You have to check whether the mail server is working by testing it in command line.

To test your connection follow this procedure.

Click the Start button-->RUN in that type " cmd' on (Windows NT/2000/XP) or Command (Windows 95/98/ME). This will open a new command prompt window, with white text on a black screen.

Type in the following exactly as it appears. You will not see what you are entering so take it slowly, and if you make a mistake, start again.
    telnet mail.yourdomain.com 110 and then click the Enter key on your keyboard. You will then be connected to the email server.

Type in USER followed by your email address e.g. USER test@yourdomain.com and then click the Enter key. You will then get a message +OK Please enter your pass, with the PASS command

Type in PASS followed by your password e.g. PASS test0370 and click the Enter key. If it is correct, you will get an OK Well done message.

If you can do this, you have connected to the server and so the problem lies somewhere with Outlook Express.

If it is not connecting then the problem is with your DNS entry. If it works fine then the entry in your Outlook is wrong. Please verify that.

May be the above given solution helps you to reach your task.

Regards,

Bright:)