The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail to News Gateway

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ishware, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I hope this is the right forum for this; I saw something to do with mailman in here, so that's why I decided to post.

I also don't know if this is a cPanel issue, or something I need to take up with my hosting provider (who provides me with cPanel), so I'm also hoping to learn that. :)

Quick note: cPanel does rock my world. Between that and the good hosting I found, my satisfaction with the entire situation is near 100%. cPanel is fast, easy, graceful.. I love that I can make links to specific pages in the cPanel structure. Woot!

And now, on to my problem...

I set up a mailman list, and set up the Mail-News gateway. It's working half-beautifully -- I have it set to send messages in both directions (list->news and news->list). List->News works *great*. I can see the messages on the news server (it's running on my dad's machine - so I have a custom group I set up just for this purpose...). But, there's no link from the news server to the list.

I assume that something has to go out and check the news server for new articles so often... Would that be a cron job I have to set up?

I'm a Windows geek (couple of years out of date now since the tech market went south), so I should be able to understand some of the basic principles involved. I'm NOT a Linux geek (not until I can afford a second box and start to play around with it anyway...), so I will grant that I might not understand all the intricacies of the web server setup...

I'm sure hoping it's something simple that I've missed... `cos that would be a fantastic feature to have!

Thanks for any help you can give!
    -Isaac

2. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey, if this isn't the right place for this question, could someone point me to the right place? Does anyone know?

At least tell me to ***** off! :D

(emphasis on the emoticon!)

-i

3. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I still haven't figured this out!

I'm not an idiot, I swear... Oy.

Look, if it's a simple answer, PLEASE point me in the right direction.

If it's not supported, PLEASE let me know.

If there's some other simple thing you can say, PLEASE someone take the time to write two words?

I've scoured google trying to find info on this, and I can't find anything.

I have a feeling I need to do something, but I don't know what. I don't know what feeds news to the list...

I'm running a Windows 2k server with IIS 5 on it; I can get the list messages to post on the server, but I can't for the list of me get news messages to post to the list. ARGH!!!!!