Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mailbox corruption

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by scotch33, Mar 19, 2009.

1. scotch33

scotch33 Member

I have a pop3 mailbox on a user account that has suddenly stopped working.

mail that is being sent to is is bouncing back.

Other mailboxes on the same domain/mx/account are all fine.

I have tried...

deleting the box and adding it again - the propbelm remains consistent

restarting the mail server - again no change

deleting the mailbox, restarting the mail server and thenadding the mailbox again. Again no joy.

The outlook express error when I try to send from it is - The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'the_kumkwat@hotmail.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.novus-talisman.co.uk', Server: 'mail.novus-talisman.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 Temporary local problem - please try later', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Finally - I can access the main webmail login to get to three mail programs (squrrel, roundcube, hoard) but when i try to use one of them to access the mail, it rejects the password.

On all other mails on the domain it is fine.

I have not come up against a corrupted mailbox that will not recreate on re-add. can anyone advise me?

Thank you.

John

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Usually when I see a 451 error it's because the domain isn't listed in /etc/localdomains, but if your other email accounts are working this probably isn't the issue. You can try manually removing the account folders from ~/mail/domain.com/user, ~/etc/domain.com/passwd, and ~/etc/domain.com/shadow, then readding it to see if that fixes the issue.

What do your mail logs say?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. scotch33

scotch33 Member

Thanks Vanessa, I think I will try what you say - but again this is a bit first time for me so I just wanted to confirm my actions to make sure I don't kill anything !

So in my /home/folder are all my accounts

then in the account in question there is the mail / domain name folder / email box in question - so I delete this

also in mail / domain name folder / etc therre is 'passwords' - this is a file not a folder - do i open this and delete the entry for the offending mailbox, or delete the whole file - won't that kill the passwords for the other mailboxes?

finally, i don't have the 'shadow' you mention either as a folder or a file - so not sure about this one.

Ok - then the last thing is my mail logs - I am trying to find them, where would they be?

Thanks!

john

4. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Your mailbox password/shadow files should be in:

/home/mainusername/etc/domain/passwd
    /home/mainusername/etc/domain/shadow

Don't delete the entire files, just the entry for the mail user you are removing. Then remove their parent mailbox folder from:

/home/mainusername/mail/domain

Mail logs are in /var/log/exim_mainlog -- try a tail -f on it while you attempt to check/send mail, and see what it says

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...