The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailbox over quota warning - mailbox is empty...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Devil Inside, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

I have a client who's receiving the mailbox over quota warning email:

The mailbox user@domain.com is almost full. You should remove some emails from the box as soon as possible to prevent losing any future mail. This mailbox is currently 94.71% full.

However, this mailbox currently empty - and the user downloads the mail each time using Outlook.

Should I simply run /scripts/fixquotas? or will that not work in a mailbox issue?

2. simplybe

simplybe Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your user can also get that error if their webspace is reaching it's quota regardless of whats in the mailbox. check how much total webspace the user is using.

If thats not the problem then /scripts/fixquotas may resolve it.
    <edit>
    Also check what the user has set the mail quota to on that email account, some users set it very low and one large email can trigger a mailbox warning.

good luck

#2 simplybe, Sep 2, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  3. bking

bking Well-Known Member

If fixquotas does not fix the problem, cd into /home/username/mail
    find the size of the username in that dir, and then also look at domains.com/username
    If you find a discrepancy with the two filenames, you most likely have an issue with the hard links for the mailbox (ie, its not sharing the same inode)

I had a similar issue where the mailbox in /home/user/mail/username was full, but /home/user/mail/domain.com/username was empty and the quotas were counting for both boxes.... The problem was the hard link got stuffed up therefore their mailbox was seen to still be over quota....