The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailbox quota problem with sent mails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bartdc, Sep 20, 2010.

1. bartdc

bartdc Member

Hi,

One of my accounts is giving problems with mailbox quota's. It's a customer using a Blackberry & IMAP. All sent mail is saved on the server, so after a while the mailbox gets full and the customer needs to empty it.

However, when all e-mail items are deleted the cPanel stats still show the mailbox to be over quota (even the day after) and mails are still being rejected.

Running generate_maildirsize for this user doesn't fix anything. The regenerated maildirsize file still shows the incorrect usage, even though the file time stamp is correct, so it's not a permissions problem.

The only work arround I have found is the following:
    1. Delete maildirsize files
    2. Run generate_maildirsize
    3. Change mailbox quota
    4. Delete email_accounts.* files
    5. Reload email accounts page in cPanel, so the email_accounts.* files get regenerated.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem or have a solution?

Thank you,
    Bart

2. dstlink

dstlink Member

Yes, this just started with a customer today. He also has a crackberry and imap.

His laptop is set to pop, but it stopped removed messages from his account a few weeks back; now he is over quota. We removed everyting from his inbox and it still shows over quota.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What is the full cPanel version number and which IMAP/POP mail server software is being used? Please let us know the output from the following commands to confirm the cPanel version, environment type, and IMAP/POP mail server software:
    Code:
    # grep '' /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype
    # /scripts/setupmailserver --current

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What method was used to remove the sent e-mails? Were the sent e-mails removed manually via SSH access, via webmail or other mail client software connected to IMAP, or were they removed using a different means of access?

Are you seeing e-mail disk usage updated at any time for the affected system and e-mail accounts? For example, are you seeing disk usage information updated when the affected e-mail account receives a new (incoming) message in the user's Inbox?

5. dstlink

dstlink Member

# grep '' /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype
    /usr/local/cpanel/version:11.26.9-RELEASE_48422
    /var/cpanel/envtype:virtuozzo

# /scripts/setupmailserver --current
    Current mailserver type: courier
    Current storage format: maildir

I was able to fix it for this user by deleting the maildirsize file in his account. I had to do it a couple of times, it finally stoped showing 43M/30M and reported 0M/30M.

I removed the messages using the ConfigServer Mail Manage plugin. It's always worked before without any issues.

The weird thing was I confirmed he did not have the "leave a copy of e-mail on the server" box checked in his Outlook. But he had messages in his inbox from several weeks ago, looked like they had been building up for a while before he finally went over quota. So someting got out of whack and his e-mail client was not deleting the messages when it retrieved them.

6. bartdc

bartdc Member

/usr/local/cpanel/version:11.26.9-STABLE_48422
    /var/cpanel/envtype:standard

The previous times e-mails were removed via webmail by the customer, but the last time I simply deleted them via SSH. It made no difference in how the stats were updated.

Yes. Yesterday the mailbox disk usage was 0MB, today it shows 10MB (1 mail in sent and the others in inbox).

7. advantagecom

advantagecom Registered
    PartnerNOC

We experienced the same issue with one cPanel account (so far). To resolve the issue, I had to apply the workaround:
    1. Delete maildirsize files
    2. Run generate_maildirsize
    3. Reload email accounts page in cPanel.

Running generate_maildirsize without deleting the maildirsize files did not fix the issue.

The environment for this server is:

/usr/local/cpanel/version: 11.28.35-RELEASE_50509
    /var/cpanel/envtype: virtuozzo