The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailbox Size Limit versus Account Size Limit

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lbeachmike, Jul 28, 2008.

1. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is the difference in mailbox and account behavior if the mailbox size limit is reached, versus if the mailbox limit is set to unlimited and the account size limit is reached?

Thanks.

Mike

2. handsonhosting

handsonhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Effictivly the same thing.

If you dont' set a limit on the mail box, and the account reaches 100% then the system can not accept any more mail.

It's advised to set the mail box limits so that you don't exceed your account limits. Even if you have 10GB disk space on the account, and you have 10 Mail Boxes, you can set them each at 2GB (efectivly 20 GB), but since the space is not being used, it will not subtract from the acount.

The advantage with setting a limit is that the user can still get in, remove mail etc and their site will not go offline after receiving some mail capaign (or launcing a mail campaign with a loop).

There's no such thing as UNLIMITED ;)

3. lbeachmike

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My application is a bit different in that I am running an email-only hosting service. Thus, there is no concern of a "site going down" - my only concern is how it's handled by cpanel. So, if the account maxes out, is the email treatment precisely the same as if an email account were to max out? Or there some difference that will inconvenience or confuse the user?

These users do not even have cpanel access - they only access email directly. Is there anyplace in the email client where it shows the remaining space and thus could confuse users?

Also, when the account maxes out, is any other functionality impaired or inhibited?

I'm trying to make it simple to increase the mailbox size for all users in the future if/when I choose to do so. As of now, I'd need to go into each account and change mailbox sizes. However, if somebody has a nifty script that could do this, that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Mike

4. handsonhosting

handsonhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    treated the same. If the email account maxes out, then all future mail would be deleted (unless you have it set in your settings to keep mail in a mail queue for the user).

No other functions are affected. And only that ONE account is affected. Any other email addresses on the account would not be affected.

Mail would need to be removed by the user (via POP3) or by the system admin, when the mail account maxes out. A user that exceeds quota can not remove the mail themselves.

5. lbeachmike

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To be clear, you are saying that the major difference is that in a user account that reaches quota, the email user loses the ability to delete mail?

If so, then this is a deal-breaker for that approach and it looks like I'll have to stick with individual mailbox limits.