The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailbox with Fowarder to Blackhole and External Address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by RyanM, Oct 26, 2010.

1. RyanM

RyanM Member

Hello,

We have a mailbox that has a forwarder enabled to a group distribution list. The mailbox keeps filling up and we don't really need the mail the mailbox is collecting. But, we do need to keep the mailbox in place so our PHP script can authenticate with the SMTP server before sending the email. So, how can I forward to an external address while deleting local copies of the email.

Below is a line from the valias file for this domain that I tried, but it only honored the blackhole, but not the forward.
    mailbox@domain.com: :blackhole:,group-dl@externaldomain.com

Thank you,
    Ryan

2. Ben Harris

Ben Harris Member

I was just about to post thinking that I had a unique problem - It seems I don't. My problem is a little different in application, but its the same end result that I'm after.

I've tried setting the permissions of the inbox maildir to 0000. This kind of solved the problem, but it resulted in bounces being sent to some senders. My thoughts were that it may work if you redirect the directory to /dev/null with a symlink, but I have not tried it yet. Alternatively, a cron to clear it out may work although all these ideas seem a little hacky.

It would be great to find out how to do this.

Regards

Ben

3. Ben Harris

Ben Harris Member