The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailconfigupdate

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by glansing, Jun 28, 2007.

1. glansing

glansing Active Member

Hello,

Does anyone have any information regarding these emails? I'm curious as to exactly what this update is going to accomplish (what are the new configuration settings being introduced?) etc. ChangeLog hasn't been updated for ages.

Code:
    cPanel was unable to automatically merge your Exim configuration with the new settings that shipped 
    with the build you have installed (11.6.0-CURRENT_14772) because you have a custom ACL configuration 
    which cannot be automatically configured.  To avoid any mail downtime, we thought it was best to leave 
    your previous configuration intact until the new configuration can be properly installed.  In order to 
    complete this configuration update, you will need to manually merge your configuration with the new 
    configuration settings.  Please follow the steps below to complete this update:

1.  Enter WHM at https://tamarin.twelfthmonkey.com:2087/
    	2.  Enter the Exim Configuration Editor:
                        (Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor)
    	3.  Notate any custom changes you have made, you may also which to make a copy of
    		/etc/exim.conf.local
    		and /etc/exim.conf.localopts as these contain your custom settings.
    	4.  Click the 'Reset Config to Defaults' button.
    	5.  Reinstall your advanced custom settings.

Note: Until you manually complete this update, automatic spam filtering has been rendered inoperable to
    prevent any mail loss.

2. Skie

Skie Active Member

I received this for 2 of my servers that I installed clamAV on. The new default exim config works fine, but all mail was rejected if I re-added the clamAV line to the config. The error message in /var/log/exim_mainlog was:

Code:
    2007-06-28 09:56:18 1I3vPq-0007gx-C6 H=my.isp.com [1.2.3.4] Warning: "SpamAssassin as myusername detected message as NOT spam"
    2007-06-28 09:56:18 1I3vPq-0007gx-C6 malware acl condition: clamd: unable to connect to UNIX socket /var/run/clamav/clamd (No such file or directory)
    2007-06-28 09:56:18 1I3vPq-0007gx-C6 H=my.isp.com [1.2.3.4] F=<me@my.isp.com> temporarily rejected after DATA

Obviously, that path doesn't exist and I'm not sure why it's suddenly gone when it was working up until recently. I'll need to look into this more, but thought I'd chime in that everything seems to work with just the new default config.

3. glansing

glansing Active Member

I use ClamAV as well. I also use a lot of custom ACLs and am a bit nervous about resetting the configuration without knowing what it's going to be changing.

Does ClamAV function or are you completely unable to get it working?

Thanks.

4. Skie

Skie Active Member

I haven't yet looked into clamav. But I did notice mention of MailScanner when you reset to the exim defaults (/scripts/mailscannerupdate) and I have one server that uses MailScanner. I haven't tried updating that one yet as I don't know if there will be any conflicts.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you don't use cPanel's built-in SpamAssassin configuration (e.g. if you're using ASSP or MailScanner) then make sure it's disabled in WHM > Tweak Settings > and the emails should go away - so long as you update to the latest of whichever tree you run.

If you are using cPanels SpamAssassin configuration with the new ACL scanning then you should follow the advice and note your ACL and other configuration changes and then reset the exim configuration and then reapply them as it's the new SA ACL scanning sections that are being updated.

6. CaMer0n

CaMer0n Well-Known Member

I would like to use the cpanel 11, spamassissin config to reject at SMTP time, spam with a score greater than 10 and let mailscanner handle the rest.
    Is that possible?
    I know that mailscanner is meant to use exim_deny to reject spam mail over a certain score, but this has never worked for me since the time of installation, so it would be good if cpanel/exim could do it.

I have recently reset my exim config, but I still see spam appearing in mailscanner with scores of 10+.

Thanks

#6 CaMer0n, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007