The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maildir Conversion Required?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by niatech, Aug 28, 2006.

1. niatech

niatech Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've searched for this simple answer and have not come up with it.

Basically, I want to know if I really need (or should) convert to maildir. I know new CPanel installs come with maildir enabled, but it is just as easy to turn it off. However, I have a couple servers with many email accounts and mail on them and I cannot afford problems.

Can anyone with recent experience in this give me your expert advice (to switch or not to switch)?

Thanks!

2. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

If you have no problem with them, then don't touch the working thing :)

3. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

Cpanel now have maildir default so it is the future, and also it resolvs the problems that accur when clients have big spool files, it creates load and can actualy even crash small servers, I have myself crashed a p4 2.6 with a 500 meg spool file.
    Maildir is so much better so I would say convert. We was waiting for some time before touching it, but have convertet now and never had much problem with the process,

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It also gets rid of the mailbox locking issue for the same reasons you cite. You can also have multiple simultaneous IMAP logins to the same account which you can't with uwimap. uwimap is also getting a bit long in the tooth whereas courier-imap is well maintained. I'd recommend converting since neomail isn't supported anymore and there's little else holding you back.

5. niatech

niatech Well-Known Member

Thanks all,

I moved over one of my two servers last night, with what appeared to be little or no trouble (lets see what clients say today).

How about spamassassin/spambox settings. I cannot be 100% sure that I had any spamboxes enabled on this machine, but I know that after the conversion they were all disabled. Should spamassassin/spambox settings be carried over during this conversion?

Thanks!