The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maildir - failed to convert subfolders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webignition, Oct 7, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I just thought I'd mention the issues I've had in converting to maildir and perhaps suggest that people in a similar situation postpone converting until the issue has been resolved.

I have to say that I don't know if this is a general issue or just specific to my server and that the issue is with cPanel support at present and so I will update this thread when I get a response.

Basically speaking, I noticed something was odd after converting to maildir and saw that not all IMAP folders were being displayed in Thunderbird or Horde. Taking a deeper look, I noticed that standard IMAP folders were converted, but subfolders weren't.

Let me explain in a little more detail, if only to be clear.

With the mbox format, IMAP folders were created as files not directories (these being the IMAP folders that were converted correctly). Being files, these did not allow subfolders.

To create subfolders, one first had to create a new folder, preceding the folder name with a forward slash, for example "/foldername" instead of "foldername". This would create an proper directory server-side, instead of a file, that would then be capable of supporting subfolders.

After the conversion, I noticed that all file-based IMAP folders were converted correctly, being changed server-side to proper directories named ".previousfilename".

All previously created actual directories, containing file-based subfolders, were not touched by the conversion process. The directories remain as do the mbox-formatted subfolders within.

As I said, I can't be sure at this stage if this is specific to me or a due to a bug, however looking through the conversion log I can find no reference to the conversion of subfolders, only file-based folders themselves.

Therefore if you have subfolders, or know that your clients use them, I'd advise against converting to maildir for the time being.

I'll post back here when I get a response from cPanel support and will hold back from bugzilla-ing a bug report until I know more.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've already checked, but just to be sure did you make sure that the subfolders are actually there, but you need to subscribe to them again? If not, sounds like a possible conversion bug.

3. lostinspace

lostinspace Well-Known Member

What I had to do was move all the mail boxes out of the sub folders and rerun the convertor again (/usr/local/cpanel/bin/convertmaildir) for the specific account. Then you can move all the folders back into sub folders.

MBOX wasn't suppose to handle sub folders so that's probably why the converter doesn't grab them.

JapAniManga.ch likes this.
  4. webignition

Yep, checked and rechecked folder subscriptions and everything else under the sun. However it looks like lostinspace has a possible solution . . .

5. webignition

Thanks for this suggestions - it's so simple and still I missed it! I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

6. webignition

Might seem like a silly question, but how did you run /usr/local/cpanel/bin/convertmaildir for a specific account only?

7. lostinspace

lostinspace Well-Known Member

Well, I think my method actually went and converted all the accounts again but it didn't cause any issues.

So basically, I tried to "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/convertmaildir > username" which didn't work for just one user. It went and converted everyone again, but like I said, did not cause any loss of data since the accounts were already converted. Most importunately, it grabbed all the new boxes I dropped into the one user's account that had sub folders with MBOX.

8. webignition

I've actually received a reply from cPanel on this issue:

Code:
    I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such difficulties with the 
    conversion. After reviewing your issues, 
    we were able to update convertmaildir to accomodate folders properly. 
    This updated version is currently in 
    Edge builds.
    Thanks to cPanel Ben for sorting that out! Not that it's much good to me now, but I'm sure others will certainly benefit.

9. JapAniManga.ch

JapAniManga.ch Well-Known Member

Problem with 178+ mb-mailboxes ???

Looks like "convertmaildir" Script have Problem with bigger Mailboxes ! I had two Mailboxes where convertmaildir stopped (ok maybe I did not had enough patience, after a hour I give up), one was 178mb the other 256mb. good luck this was mailboxes I did not need so have deleted it and after this convertmaildir run through very well !