The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maildir hosed my server and CPANEL excuses themselves from helping????

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mwonch, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mwonch

mwonch Registered

maildir hosed my server and CPANEL can't help????

I'm sorry, everyone, but I'm rather upset right now.

#1: I heard CPANEL will not be supporting mbox for very much longer, and they STRONGLY recommended an upgrade to maildir. So, this past week, I finally did that . . .

#2: The conversion hosed the server. EXIM works fine for SENDING emails, but no one on the server can RECEIVE. The emails either get rejected by the server for some reason OR they are sent to the queue and not delivered at all to our clients.

#3: I followed every piece of advice i can find on this matter and still had no joy in repairing the issue myself, went to the host, then I asked for CPANEL's help

#4: So, after TWO days and TWO responses from CPANEL support, I get this answer:

"You are using RedHat 8.0 which is an unsupported operating system, Please update it to an OS that is supported. You can see a list of supported OS's at http://www.cpanel.net"

Billy Vierra"

Okay, that's nice . . . why wasn't this mentioned? I've done about a week's research and repair attempts over this little upgrade myself - the host tried a few things - yet no one mentioned this little fact . . .

I was not told this in the warning and upgrade suggestion message AND not told this in he FIRST response from the CPANEL team when they simply asked for access to one of the email accounts.

Please understand, I didn't just have this happen today - it's been over a week of frustrating "no results" days.

Now, I have to figure out what to do - I just don't have the level of technical expertise necessary to fix this issue.

Mike Wonch

#1 mwonch, Dec 27, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  2. budway

budway Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way to there a numerus threads here that mayble will help your issue. (I know you don't want to search....).

If I were you I would upgrade your OS either way this OS has had it's EOL (End of Life) time frame and now no updates will be available from Redhat.

Any way good luck! :)

3. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Mr Wonch,
    Yes it was me that told you that you are using an Unsupported OS.
    Yes there are known issues with this OS, like the ones that you are experiencing. This is why it is an unsupported OS.

Once again I recommend updating the Operating System on your server to one that is supported and does not have these issue.

As I stated to you in the ticket, we do our best to make sure that the scripts/programs we provide work on ALL of our SUPPORTED OS's. We cannot guarentee that they will work on OS's that we do not support.

Especially in this case there is no RPM built for RedHat 8.0, the OS that you are using, because there were issues with RH8.0.

If you look at http://cpanel.net you will see a list of supported OS's that this will work with.

4. mwonch

mwonch Registered

Don;t worry - I didn't take it wrong. I did search - endlessly . . . for days. The host did all they could, I took almost a week of searching here, Google, the general web, tried a lot of things - no joy. The big plus is I learned a whole lot, but not enough to know exactly what to do.

For the record, my host didn't send me here. They did what they could, still nothing worked, so I tried a lot myself, then came to CPANEL. The first reply was pretty good. I figured someone was going to help out. But,t hat was a different support tech. A second one is the one who told me what i didn't fuind anywhere in my searches for the past week.

believe me, man! I much rather have the issue fixed WITHOUT going to CPANEL. In fact, I do like CPANEL a lot. Support was quick and easy for issues that weren't so pressing. THIS issue, however, is something that's bogging everything down and actually effecting business.

So, I suppose I have to ask the host to upgrade to Redhat 9.0, THEN ask for support from Cpanel? very ell, another day or two with no email and a hosed box.

Honestly, this should have been put in the warning messages . . . then again, maybe I'm just new enough not to know this might be generally understood.

5. mwonch

mwonch Registered

Alright, granted I wasn't very nice in my post. And, I do apologize - I will edit it for it to be nicer . . .

I had no idea the problems you mentioned. This is a leased box, so if I have to jump through a hoopp at the host level, then I will. I understand the reservations and why you guys can't support an out of date OS. My issue here is witht he fact that this was never mentioned in any of the posts warning us about maildir's upgrade. Not in the CPANEL original messages abotu it via WHM, and not in any of the posts here or across the web. Please believe me, I've done DAYS of long, hard work looking for the solution before I went to CPANEL about this. I first tried the host, who did what they could, I then did things myself without a resolution - THEN I came to Cpanel. Nowhere was this mentioned - the redhat build . . .

I suppose it has to be upgraded to 9.0 (or whatever) according to the main cpanel website. So, back to the host I will go to see if they can do that!

In the meantime, screaming customers, zero emails (even to my admin accounts), and the box keeps filling up with errors and queued messages that have to be cleared every day or 2 to keep the box from crashing.

This whole problem is taking far too long between the three of us: you, me, the host. it actually has me thinking to spend time and money going back to school for a couple of years just to learn how to run this box. :)

Anyway, I'll put in a ticket to the host, see if they can upgrade the OS . . .

Please understand, Billy, this isn't something that didn't just happen today - it happed over a week ago now. My frustration level is very high as a result of days of no emails, not able to support my clients, and no client emails.

6. Zaf

Zaf Well-Known Member

mwonch,
    I understand your situation, and wish you get out of this ASAP.
    But you know what? (If I were you,) I would subscribe a VPS from any host (as it takes just minutes to get a VPS online). I'd then change the MX entries of all the domains hosted on the affected server to point to the VPS and create accounts on the VPS to accept mails for these domains. Atleast, the mails wouldnt be missed...even if the clients had to make do with a default account for a few days until things were streamlined. I know this would involve a lot of work to setup things, but it would help you not getting into messy situation with your clients. If you werent comfortable doing all of this on your own, I'm sure your hosting company and/or a hired professional would surely get you out of it.