The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maildir issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by xTerminus, Jun 9, 2006.

1. xTerminus

xTerminus Registered

Jun 4, 2006
    I have a few remaining issues with maildir. Went back to mbox for the time being & felt quite a sense of relief, but would probably rather get these maildir problems resolved since it seems to be the new standard for cPanel & has some performance & security benefits.

1) Often times folders cannot be deleted from within the email client (Outlook Express or Thunderbird). I end up having to delete them in ftp or command terminal. I have manually set the root folder path to INBOX. in the client so that should be working fine.

2) The auto-empty Trash setting found in /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd doesn't seem to work. I've tried setting it to both 0 & 1. Do the messages in the Trash folder need to be in a purged state in order to be auto-emptied? That might seem a little redundant because one would effectivley have to hit delete & purge 3-4 times just to delete items once, which seems a bit counterproductive. Also, the Trash folder seems to be randomly created sometimes in some mail accounts & absent in others regardless of refreshing the folder list or checking if it is hidden. Manually creating it works but shouldn't that folder be automagically created for those that are unaware of this IMAP magic trash functionality?

I have done the conversion process, converted remaining mailboxes, ran all the --force script updates (/scripts/upcp --force, /scripts/eximup --force, /scripts/courierup --force, /scripts/buildeximconf, /scripts/mailscannerupdate etc) & rebuild apache/php as well, still these last 2 problems persist.

Other than that everything else seems to be working sort of ok for now, not sure it is any better than the mbox/uwimap system though. Maildir/courier seems to have many problematic areas that I've had to work through wasting several weeks of my time to make it functional & mimic normal IMAP behavior, & still it isn't quite there. If anyone has the easy answer to these last 2 issues it would be much appreciated. -Thanks, x