CentOS 7.0 + WHM
cPanel & WHM Version

mynmarketing

Registered
Mar 2, 2021
Pittsburgh, PA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have a very interesting issue I cannot figure out and here's the quick background.

I have 2 servers: Server 1 named : server.host.com (Add-on domain: mywebsite.com) & Server 2 named: smtp.mailhost.com (Add-on domain: mywebsite.com).
Server 1 hosts the mywebsite.com content and allows users to make SMTP calls to Server 2 mywebsite.com email addresses which sends email via SMTP.
MX Records are pointed to Server 1 so basically incoming emails to [email protected] come to Server 1 and outgoing is from Server 2.

I upgraded Server 2 to smtp.host.com (same root hostname as Server 1) instead of smtp.mailhost.com. Remote SMTP calls from server.host.com work fine, My A records, SPF, DKIM, PTR and DNS are all correct, outgoing messages are delivered perfect.

The issue: The new Server 2 does not relay any [email protected] back to server.host.com (Server 1). I talked to both my hosting providers they said that cPanel disabled this feature within Exim but I cannot find a solution. Thank you for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

mynmarketing

Registered
Mar 2, 2021
Pittsburgh, PA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes on the new Server 2 within WHM i receive the typical 550 failure in the Mail Reporting section however the new Server 2 does not seem to relay the 550 failure to the actual original email address it was composed from. I also sent a test message to [email protected]25.com from the same email address on new Server 2 and the autoreply was delivered to Server 1. What logs do you need? I can produce a scenario where I send a message from old Server 2 and new Server 2, from the same email address to the same recipient.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not sure troubleshooting this over the forums is going to be very efficient, since there's two servers involved and this isn't a standard configuration. Would it be possible for you to open a ticket with our support team so we could take a look directly at the affected machines?

mynmarketing

Registered
Mar 2, 2021
Pittsburgh, PA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I opened the ticket however the response from the Tech support agent seemed as if he didn't understands the issue all the way. I just want new Server 2 to relay the 550 bounce back to the email address on the original server that made the SMTP call, Server 1.