The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailing list for security updates/etc

Discussion in 'Security' started by jdp, Jun 8, 2004.

?

Would you join a list with security/release updates/announcements from cpanel?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    97.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jdp

jdp Member

I've looked around on the site on various occasions and have been unable to find anything related to this so that’s the reason for this post.

Is there any mailing list that I can subscribe to so I can get emails letting me know when new cpanel updates are available and if a security issue has been discovered? I run the freebsd version of cpanel so it also seems to lag behind the updates for the linux one and because of this the auto-update script won't even be able to update it as soon as there is a bug fixed on the linux version.

In short I'd just like to know if there is (and if there’s not if anyone else would like one) a mailing list that basically emails out the red info on the news page of WHM and info about releases on http://layer2.cpanel.net/.

If no such list exists then I could write a script to grab this info, but I wanted to check to see if there already was a mailing list somewhere as that would be preferable. :)

Thanks

2. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Yes, this will help! As a FreeBSD user, I hate the security warning that show up (which are for Linux) on WHM... makes ma crazy!

3. jdp

jdp Member

Well considering all the views and no one actually posting a reply referencing an existing mailing list I'm going to have to assume no such list exists. I did have a thought on how to do this with the least amount of effort.

Each section on the forums here (i.e. General is where this is posted in) lets you "subscribe" to it. It could be as simple as making a new section called "Securty/Layer2 Announcements" and only let moderators post to it. Then anyone that wants (7 so far voted they would be) could subscribe to it and get emails whenever a new topic is posted... which should be every time there’s a new bug found/corrected.

Thoughts?

4. WeMasterz5

WeMasterz5 Well-Known Member

5. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

I would love this, I tend to find out about Cpanel security flaws by either looking at the WHM, which I do not do daily, but lately had to get used to checking twice a day :(, or from the bugtraq emails...

I would love to get an email from Cpanel that says "upgrade X now" or "patch B now". It would help, I have a freind who has a box and missed the user name password thing and his box was rooted, all because he did not log into WHM.

A lits would eb a great idea, as long as it is only security issues, not used for sales ;)

6. kofi

kofi Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I think this would be a great idea to have a mailing list, would help get cPanel patched up, especially with the number of bugs there are.