The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailing List Problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cjmwebdesigns, Mar 23, 2007.

1. cjmwebdesigns

cjmwebdesigns Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel Fans, I am in distress.

I am running one modest server with many domains on it. I have had one or two issues where my IP was blocked after a user did a few things they should not have done, however, with that being said, I am having a problem with mailing list and mail to some domains.

I have a couple of accounts were users of the mailing lists are complaining that they are not getting the e-mails from the list and several of them said the mail is being marked as bulk??

First, I thought the purpose of the mailing list was to prevent mail clients from seeing the message as bulk as discarding. Second, the problem seems to alternate.

I know that users of AOL, Yahoo, and Hotmail have complained within my own list from time to time, but I also have a few corporate ones that were not being received.

On one domain that I tested this morning, I put in a few addresses, (maybe 6) and the message went through to the one user as his work address, while on the larger list, same domain name, he is not receiving messages. Ironically enough I did not get these messages at my very own Hotmail acct. I did the same test this afternoon and I received the message first from an acct on the domain then from the mailing list.

I am not sure what the problem is, but people keep getting upset that they are not getting messages and now this is coming back to me as the host.

Is there anyway I can prove that the e-mail is leaving my server for the account users in question and that there host, IP, or administrators are blocking it? As for my hotmail account, seems that was just a crap shoot.

I seriously need some help on this one.

Thanks.

2. cjmwebdesigns

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    OK All, this may be one of the simplest resolutions to a problem and I could shoot myself for thinking it was something more complex anyway, I had set a limit of e-mails a domain could send out per hour and on two of my domains, the limit of e-mails allowed to send was less than the number of users on the list.

If I am not mistaken, the domain has to send all these e-mails independently via the mailing list, via the domain, so this should be the fix if I am not mistaken.

With that being said, if it is truly the fix, what is a reasonable number of e-mails per hour for a domain since this is set at a server level. I have one mailing list who has 168 users itself.

Also, if the mail is delayed by the domain limitiation, shouldn't the mail be saved or does the server discard it?

3. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are talking about this:
    The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited):
    Anything over the limit is discarded.

My solution is create "/var/cpanel/maxemails"
    In maxemails define the domains that you wish to have a different limit:

domain1.com=400
    domain2.com=4500
    domain3.com=4000
    domain4.com=1000

This will allow these 4 domains to have a different limit that the server default. I usually ask the client what their expected user base is and how often the emails are to be sent.

For example (500 users on the list with 3 emails per hour being sent to the list are 1500 emails per hour) I would set them at 2100 to 2500 to allow for the regular emails in addition to the expected list emails.

I use the suite of programs from Chirpy (configserver.com) and the mailwatch portion allows me to track email traffic to and from the server. His software also has the mail queue manager, firewall, and a great file explorer.

I believe the whole packaged installed is $125, and well worth it. It dose take some resources, but i am happy with the products performace.

Hope this helps,
    Ron

4. cjmwebdesigns

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thanks Ron...

5. NaveenKapur

NaveenKapur Member

Gr8. This is what I was looking for a long time. Thanks again.