The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maillog entry

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sparek-3, Sep 28, 2005.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am just curious if someone can help explain a little bit on this entry in my /var/log/maillog. The entry looks like:

Code:
    Sep 28 12:29:28 host cpanelpop[22679]: Login host=a.b.c.d ip=w.x.y.z user=pop@domain.com realuser=pop@domain.com
    The thing I'm confused about is the Login host and the IP. Both are different IPs. Which one refers to the IP that is checking the mailbox for mail?

I can tell you that the a.b.c.d IP refers to a spamarrest.com IP address and the w.x.y.z IP seems to reflect an ISP IP. I'm not sure how spamarrest.com works, but I'm assuming that a user somehow checks the mail on the server through spamarrest.com and that the a.b.c.d IP is the actual host that is connecting to the POP3 server and the w.x.y.z IP is the IP that is connecting to it through spamarrest.com. Would this be correct?

The user seems to be having some trouble receiving mail, and when I saw this in the maillog I thought it was a little strange. If the user is using something like spamarrest.com then that may be what is causing them to lose some e-mails. However I wasn't sure what to think of the two IP addresses that were listed.

Thanks