The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman and Extra Headers

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Aerosmith, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Well-Known Member

I am running a number of web sites for clients who have mailing lists. Most come from the Majordomo world. Mailman has an annoying habit of adding all kinds of extra headers (6-8 header lines on EVERY mailing) to mail that goes to the list. Many of these headers show info that is at the least not relevant and at the worst worng for some of the lists. For example there is a link at the top of each email for posting to the list. For a non-discussion list there is no posting other than by the moderator so this header gives out info that will only cause confusing. Not only that but with all of these extra headers subscribers often have to scroll down in each email just to see the beginning of the body of the mail beasue there are so many header lines!
    All of this header stuff is useless anyway as it forces unwanted information onto lists that don't need the data in headers. List admins that want it can simply add the data as a prepend to each message which is done easily in the mailing ist config control panel.
    There is a simple one line edit (actually only commenting out a line of code) to the mailman config file to keep these headers out, but the nightly update of level 2 of Cpanel overwrites the file that I am updating so that I have to go in each night and re-edit the file. Could the powers that be please make this mod to the released coe and thus make the inclusion of all of this data optional rather than a forced mandatory thing? I will be happy to supply the information as to which line of code to comment out in the maliman config file.

Thanks...

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

On a cpanel machine, never forget the most magical and helpful of all commands &chattr +i filename&

It makes the file untouchable, and you won't see it overwritten again by a cpanel nightly update.

3. Aerosmith

Thats sounds interesting. The only concern is when something actually changes in that file that we would need. Although the default config file for Mailman should be pretty stable, I imagine there is a chance it would change. Any feedback on that concern?

4. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

Aerosmith, you needn't be concerned. Just chattr +i as Feanor suggested. We do this for quite a few config files that we don't want disturbed by the nightly update.

Can you tell us where you do the edit to eliminate the extra headers? Thanks.

5. Aerosmith

Yep i sure can...

Edit the following file.
    $base/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py

Comment out ONE line near the end by preceeding it with a &#&.

Original line:
    msg[h] = v

Commented out:
    #msg[h] = v

Thats all there is to it!