The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman and transfer troubles

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Zimm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Zimm

Zimm Registered

I recently transferred all my domains (using WHM's transfer function) to a new dedicated server and all mailman mailing lists seem to be broken. CPANEL still lists them and I can still change the passwords from CPANEL and the command in WHM, but when I attempt to edit them, I get a message saying the list does not exist. Also, emails sent to the lists don't go through and are not returned.

When I attempt to delete the email list, CPANEL says the list was deleted, then says it wasn't found and an error is returned yet the list is still listed.

Here's a copy of what CPANEL tells me when I attempt to delete a list (real URLs are spoofed)

Mailing List Deleted
    The mailing list bogus@unrealdomain.org was successfully deleted.
    No such list: bogus_norealdomain.org. Removing its residual archives.
    bogus_norealdomain.org public archives not found as /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/bogus_norealdomain.org.mbox

If I try to recreate the list, it will tell me the new list is created, yet I still get a message saying the list does not exist.

If I create a new list, everything works.

After searching through these forums and the support forums for my provider, I have tried to use /scripts/reinstallmailman and /fixmailman but it doesn't work.

Aside from having to delete the account, recreating and uploading all the files via ftp by hand and recreating the mailing lists by hand, does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening and/or any ways I might beable to try to fix the problem?

WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R119
    RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

2. sv1

sv1 Well-Known Member

I also have this issue, anyone?

3. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

If you have access to the old server, just copy the complete directory /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman to the new server and restart exim.

Also check the alias files to make sure they got created on the new server too.
    /etc/valiases/domain.com

4. luna

luna Active Member

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I just move some accounts.
    In my case, which files do I need to copy?
    Please advise.

Best Regards,

5. roosta

roosta Registered

Fix

We experienced the exact same problem with one of our transfers. None of the clients lists were working. If you clicked Edit on any of them it would report "No such list".

We got the fix idea from the above poster who said, "If you have access to the old server, just copy the complete directory /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman to the new server and restart exim." Well most people don't have access to the old server and can't make their way to that directory. And that assumes the old server contained only your mailing lists, which is not likely the case.

So what we did was went to the old server and did a full backup on our account and had it transfer to the new server via ftp. When we had the tar.gz on the new server we extracted it and moved the contents of the "mm" directory to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/.

They already existed in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/ from the transfer, but they were just lacking some necessary files. So moving the full directories from the old server on top of them did the trick.

Afterwards, I don't know if it was necessary, we ran the scripts /scripts/fixmailman and /scripts/resetmailmanurls for good measure. Then we restarted exim.

Now the clients lists are all in proper working order.

#5 roosta, Apr 6, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  6. luna

luna Active Member

Hi,

Someone said it's a matter of version of CPanel and if both old and new servers are CPanel 9.9 or later, it does not happen.

Is it true?? :)

7. craig1972

craig1972 Member

This problem happens with the latest CPanel as well. Perhaps this should be listed as a KNOWN ISSUE when someone is transfering. Actually I had plenty of issues with DNS Zones, big databases not moving (1.5 million records in MySQL) and most peskily, the mailman files.

My question: my old host has deleted his files. My mailman on the new server is having issues. I think my config.pck file etc is missing. I don't mind recreating the mailing lists afresh on my new server, I don't mind losing the archives, but is there anything I can do to at least retrieve the email addresses (about 3000) that were subscribed to my mailing list? Is there any file that MAY have been transfered with this info?

#7 craig1972, Apr 12, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  8. craig1972

craig1972 Member

Hello,

Any ideas on this? How can I retrieve my mailing list subscribers if the mailing list has not come across in a transfer?

Thanks

9. luna

luna Active Member

Hi craig1972,

I would like to know about it, too. :)

10. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Do you still have a backup from the old server? The files are part of the backup. I have moved servers twice and have not had this problem with mailman ata ll - lots of problems with other stuff. Did you try running a list_lists and see what shows up? What about list_members? They will give you an idea of what you actually have.

Oh, did you check the permissions - that would cause major screwups if not correct?

11. craig1972

craig1972 Member

Hi,

My old server was an ultra-paranoid-security shared server ("Reseller hosting", to be precise) but my new setup is dedicated. So no, it wasn't a root account to root account transfer.

I may have access to the backup from old server. Can you tell me where to look for useful files? If the mailman files are stored outside of my shared account, then I'm afraid I don't have access to anything. It's gone. If the files (or just the file that contains the subscribers email IDs) is inside "/home/myaccount/" folder, then I may have some hope. Please advise.

Otherwise, my only hope is whatever was transfered. What permissions can I check? What files can I possibly look into?

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

CM

P.S. Recreating lists is really not fun, the least Cpanel can do is document these possible errors so people can watch out. Plesk never has such issues in transferring. But I'm griping.

12. lloyd_tennison

If you have a standard CPanel backup, created during cpbackup, the files would be in the mm directory. All of the subfolders in that folder are for the various lists. It is the pck files that you need.

PM/IM me if you need some help.

13. fuzzie

fuzzie Well-Known Member

14. lloyd_tennison

rsynced what files? The cpanel backup? And then did a restore? Or what? (That way has worked fine for me serveral times. Just rsyncing the /backup directory - but make sure backup is incremental! That backups up file by file so if the rsyncing stops - you can continue from the files you left off. Sometimes large cpmove or cpbackup files can choke on the transfer. Some people use scp without problems, but occasionally I have had problems with timeout, etc.)

15. fuzzie

fuzzie Well-Known Member

well, I had resynced the mailman files, and I thought that had worked.
    But it didn't.

It looks like I will have to recreate all the mailing lists, not a pretty picture. Does anyone know how to get the list members and the settings out of the existing lists, so I don't have to reenter all that?

Please.

16. lloyd_tennison

Rsyncing the mailman files does nothing. None of the users, the aliases or amost anything else is transferred. You left a bunch of holes everywhere.

The best way is still to restore a backup from the old machone and have it create the account. That will create the users, etc.

Otherwise, you will need to recreate the lists one by one.

Yes, you can get most the data from the lists by using the list_members and the config_list programs located in the bin folder.

17. fuzzie

fuzzie Well-Known Member

FIXED:
    For me, the domain causing the problems was not in /etc/localdomains.
    I added it and everything worked. For a day.
    Checked /etc/localdomains again, and it was gone.
    Turns out the domain was listed in /etc/remotedomains also...and the nightly build was removing it from /etc/localdomains.

Thanks Eric!