The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MailMan archives space usage

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hicom, Jan 30, 2004.

1. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

I noticed that cPanel doesn't take MailMan archives space into consideration when limiting a client web space usage.

I have a client whos archives reached about 200MB so far, but his web usage is showing only 30MB. If a server running multiple huge newsletters, it could run out of space quickly without being able to track it properly

2. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

I've noticed this too. I think the solution would be to run a daily cron that chown's all files in the archive to username:mailman. You'd have to do this for any user with a large archive. This came up for me because on a server I took over as admin for I have a user with a 200 MB disk quota and 800 MB of mailing list archives.

I have not yet tried chowning his archives to username:mailman because I need to know if he's willing to pay more to keep these around. I'm guessing this will work, as the files have a permission of 664 so mailman could still write to them if the group is mailman. But I haven't done testing on this approach yet.

Any insight others have would be welcome.

3. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

I've checked that, unfortunately, once you chown the folder, mailman stop archiving there.

so I guess cPanel nor we can do anything

4. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I know this is an old thread but the problem is still here. We just noticed a customer using 1.3GB mailman archive.

We'd really like this to count towards their current quota ;)

5. jacksony

jacksony Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

can someone teach me how to write a cron or what to do to fix this problem?

will cpanel comes up with a solution for this? I can't have a client with 50mb but use 1gig of space! :( any help is appreciated to jackson@apc.sg thank you!

6. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Heck we'd just plain be happy with some automated "trim" routines so that we could configure mailman to purge anything in the archives older than x months on a monthly basis. We're having to do this manually (which is rather tedious and time consuming) for a few customers that have archives over 2GBs if we let them go for too long and if we could just "trim" them down automatically across the board on all servers that would be fine (we could live with them not being counted towards quotas). It would also be nice if we could specify a certain type of backup routine for Mailman Archives (similar to MySQL) - something like:

Mailman Archives:

[ ] None
    [ ] Per Account Only
    [ ] Per Account and Entire Archive Directory
    [ ] Entire Archive Directory Only

On servers that have large archives the compressing the of the mbox files can take quite a bit of time and spike the load immensely and doing it twice (Per Account and Entire Archive Directory) as it does now is just complete overkill (IOHO). We'd much prefer to just back up the Mailman archives on a Per Account basis only (but having all the options since others may prefer something different would be the best route).

7. EDevil

EDevil Member

I too would appreciate this functionality.

8. jsnape

jsnape Well-Known Member

This is a problem on a couple of older servers. I moved the archives/private/ folder to another partition and created a symlink to it in the old location:
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private > /other/drive/private

Then checked a list at random, no 404 or 500 error on the archives page.
    It seems to work. Dont know if it will stand the test of time, but that was the biggest space hog in mailman.

Anyone trying it should probably back it up in a tar.gz file just in case
    tar -pczf private.tar.gz private