Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mailman-bounces questions

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by payne, Jun 4, 2006.

1. payne

payne Well-Known Member

Any message sent to mailman-owner@{any domain on my box} gets put in root's mailbox... even if there are no lists on that domain. Apparently, this is because of the .alias forward in exim. I have two questions about this:

1) Why are these aliases there? What purpose do they server? Is it just a way for people on any mailing list to get in touch with the main administrator?

2) I recently changed my hostname yet all mailing list email that bounces still says its from mailman-bounces@{the old hostname}. How do I get it to read the new hostname?

2. payne

payne Well-Known Member

answer for #2: edit /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py to list the new hostname. Delete the list and recreate it.

big question left... does anyone know why mail to mailman-owner gets delivered to root via mailman-bounces? Why doesn't it just come to the admin/moderaters of the mailman list?

3. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

The bounces are because of an oddity in Cpanel's confiuration. Look in WHM, Main >> Server Contacts >> Change System Mail Preferences and you will see:

But I receive none of the list bounces there, so check the rest of your configuration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. payne

payne Well-Known Member

Well now, that's odd. I don't have a "mailman's mail" on the "Change System Mail Preferences" page. I only have root's, nobody's and cpanel's. Whats that all about?

5. eos1

eos1 Well-Known Member