The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman-bounces questions

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by payne, Jun 4, 2006.

1. payne

payne Well-Known Member

Any message sent to mailman-owner@{any domain on my box} gets put in root's mailbox... even if there are no lists on that domain. Apparently, this is because of the .alias forward in exim. I have two questions about this:

1) Why are these aliases there? What purpose do they server? Is it just a way for people on any mailing list to get in touch with the main administrator?

2) I recently changed my hostname yet all mailing list email that bounces still says its from mailman-bounces@{the old hostname}. How do I get it to read the new hostname?

2. payne

payne Well-Known Member

answer for #2: edit /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py to list the new hostname. Delete the list and recreate it.

big question left... does anyone know why mail to mailman-owner gets delivered to root via mailman-bounces? Why doesn't it just come to the admin/moderaters of the mailman list?

3. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

The bounces are because of an oddity in Cpanel's confiuration. Look in WHM, Main >> Server Contacts >> Change System Mail Preferences and you will see:

But I receive none of the list bounces there, so check the rest of your configuration.

4. payne

payne Well-Known Member

Well now, that's odd. I don't have a "mailman's mail" on the "Change System Mail Preferences" page. I only have root's, nobody's and cpanel's. Whats that all about?

5. eos1

eos1 Well-Known Member