The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman - doesn't work for me ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by NickLamb, Sep 26, 2012.

1. NickLamb

NickLamb Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Using the mailing list option in Cpanel, created the list, filled out all the general options in mailman, list appears to be all good.

Except mails sent to the list name are never received, and new members after registration are not added to the list, it seems as nothing behind the mailing list actually functions.

Clearly I have not activated or set something up correctly can someone please help me with my problem.

FYI, I am root administrator as well, so have full access, but have little qualifications in actually administrating anything.

Thanks in advance

Nick

2. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

Please open a ticket on this. It's hard to diagnose without specifics.

Thanks!

3. NickLamb

NickLamb Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok have done - thanks for the advice, this is all quite new to me, so struggling a bit !

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello NickLamb,

Could you provide the ticket number that was submitted for us to follow up on the resolution?

Also, a few troubleshooting tips. If you send an email to the list and you aren't seeing it arrive or send to the members, can you try checking the exim_mainlog for the sender to the mailing list?

Code:
    exigrep sender@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Please replace sender@domain.com with the sender to the mailing list's full email address. If the email ever arrived to the server and was processed at all, you should receive details in the log on what might have happened.

Next, check if python is even running for mailman:

Code:
    ps aux | grep python
    Sometimes, you simply need to restart mailman to get it working due to it being down:

Code:
    /scripts/restartsrv_mailman
    If that doesn't work, try checking the error and SMTP logs in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs location:

Code:
    tail -50 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/error
    tail -50 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/smtp
    tail -50 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/smtp-failure
    Thanks!

5. NickLamb

NickLamb Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Tristan,

Apologies - problem fully solved - requests were arriving at the server, but not going any further, a simple restart seems to have fixed the problem - ticket number #3217679

Secondary question - in your response you give me a load of code options to try, which is great - but where exactly would I copy that all to ? how do I run this code ?
    I would love to be able to understand - and even try your advice, but don't even know where to start.

Thanks

Nick

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Nick,

The commands would be run in SSH as root user. If you run Windows, you can obtain a program like putty (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe) and then log into your machine using the hostname or IP, root username and the root password. Upon logging into SSH as root user, you'd then be able to run the commands such as I indicated.

Thanks!