The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman errors

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ahwheelock, Oct 5, 2003.

1. ahwheelock

ahwheelock Well-Known Member

For the last week, we've had errors on several servers since the upgrade of cpanel. We run the release tree with auto updates.

cpanel is not showing new created lists in mailman and any attempt to edit lists that exist through the bug:

Bug in Mailman version <undetermined>

We're sorry, we hit a bug!
    Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

(we have gotten the version number to be determined by copying a couple of missing files on one server, but the error persists...albeit with the version number).

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Since it's on several servers, I'm sure we can't be the only one. Any fixes that can be recommended? The logs show nothing, so we are a bit baffled.

I saw some mailman tweaks in the changelog for WHM....perhaps still some issues?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ahwheelock

ahwheelock Well-Known Member

This apparently affected many cpanel servers. I post the fix that my NOC gave, and which worked, in case any one else is seeing this behavior in thier mailman installation:

-----------

The following is the fix for this issue:

rm -f /usr/bin/python
    ln /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python
    /scripts/reinstallmailman

3. mjm2

mjm2 Well-Known Member

i am having the same problem. rather than remove the old python, i simply moved it incase anything fails w. the new version....

reinstalling mailman now.....

the search feature on this site works excellent.

4. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

i have the same error i have try to do it but when i do ln /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python i get:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/mailman-install: /usr/local/cpanel/bin/reset_mailman_hostname: /usr/bin/python
    2: bad interpreter: Too many levels of symbolic links

5. Final-Solution

Final-Solution Well-Known Member

mail man

i tried the fix suggested . . but when I run the install for mailman I get a few errors . .

checking for CGI wrapper group; i.e. --with-cgi-gid... configure: error:
    ***** No group name "-1" found for the CGI wrapper program.
    ***** This is the group that your web server will use to run Mailman's
    ***** programs. You should specify an existing group with the
    ***** --with-cgi-gid configure option, or use --without-permcheck to
    ***** skip this verification step. See also your web server's documentation,
    ***** and Mailman's INSTALL file for details
    make: *** No rule to make target `clean'. Stop.
    Can't open /usr/local/cpanel/src/3rdparty/gpl/mailman-2.1.3/src/Makefile: No such file or directory.
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/mailman-install: ./bin/check_perms: No such file or directory
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/mailman-install: ./bin/check_perms: No such file or directory
    /usr/local/cpanel/src/3rdparty/gpl/mailman-2.1.3/cron/crontab.in: No such file or directory
    chmod: getting attributes of `/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/*': No such file or directory
    chown: getting attributes of `/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/*': No such file or directory
    chmod: getting attributes of `/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/*': No such file or directory
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/mailman-install: ./bin/newlist: No such file or directory
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/mailman-install: ./bin/config_list: No such file or directory
    chmod: getting attributes of `/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/create': No such file or directory

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/reset_mailman_hostname", line 44, in ?
    raise SystemExit(main(sys.argv))
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/reset_mailman_hostname", line 31, in main
    file=open('/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/' + list + '/config.pck','r')
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck'

Any ideas what's wrong with this? I never have been able to create a list, but i didnt need to previously :/

6. Worelock

Worelock Active Member

this broke the rpm installer

Heya folks,

I followed the instruction in this post

rm -f /usr/bin/python
    /scripts/reinstallmailman

and all seemed to go fine.
    Mailman is working now but all the items in the Install RPM utility in WHM are now gone. As this is the only change I have made to the system I have to asume that it is the cause of the problem.

I tried to do a Rebuild RPM Database thinking that it may have been corrupted but it didnt help.

Can this have been caused by changing python to python2 with the sym link in this step?

rm -f /usr/bin/python

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Paul

7. Worelock

Worelock Active Member

Anyone?

Others have done this procedure. Did it give you the same problem I have? (post above)

Paul