The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman lists not being restored

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by sparek-3, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anybody else able to verify this as a bug? When you restore an account from a backup, the mailman list and archive (if they exist for that account) are not restored.

The mailman lists are stored in the backup file under the mm directory. Suspended lists are store under the mms directory. And list archves are stored under the mma directory. All of these exist in the backup file of the account. But when restoring the archives, the contents of these directories are not found in the correspnding directories in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is noticing this issue or not.

This appears to be present in 11.24.2-CURRENT_32283 and in 11.24.4-RELEASE_32603.

2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

same here

I just notice this myself. Anyone got a fix? I have a client that needs their list back. I never use Mailman so I have no idea where anything is supposed to be located.

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The mailing lists are backed up in the backup package. They just aren't restored. At least in the backups that I have seen.

You can extract just the mailing lists from the backup package:

tar -xvf /backup/cpbackup/daily/user.tar user/mma user/mms user/mm

or

tar -zxvf /backup/cpbackup/daily/user.tar.gz user/mma user/mms user/mm

replace user with the username of the account and replace /backup/cpbackup/daily/user.tar with the full path to the backup file.

This will create a subdirectory in the current directory called user and in that directory will be three subdirectories mm, mma, and mms.

mm will contain mailing lists for the account, the contents of this directory should be moved to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists.

mma will contain mailing list archives for the mailing lists on this account. The contents of this directory should be moved to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives.

mms will contain any suspended lists for the account, usually only happens if the account in question was suspended when the backup was created. The contents of this directory should be moved to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/suspended.lists or /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists if you want the mailing list to be active.