The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman not disabling bounced subscribers?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by quanin, Dec 3, 2014.

1. quanin

quanin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was looking into logs and such to find the source of an entirely unrelated issue, and discovered addresses that have been bouncing from my mailing lists for quite some time aren't actually being disabled when they reach the bounce threshold. Their score gets reset, the probe email gets sent out - and, as expected, bounces - but Mailman doesn't actually disable the subscription.

I've set my bouncing settings on a single list to 3 bounces in a 10-day period for testing, which meant at least one person should have been disabled this morning (their bounce score was 8 when the processor ran). As expected, the processor ran, saw the subscriber's score was well above my new cutoff, sent a probe. As expected, the probe bounced. The score was apparently reset to 0 and the subscription wasn't disabled. I do have that list configured to mail me when a subscription is disabled, which makes detection of failures that much easier.

I'm not sure what's changed either with CPanel's implementation of Mailman or with Mailman in general, but I do know the automatic bounce processing used to work as expected. I'm not seeing anything error-related, and Mailman is able to figure out who the bounce belongs to, so if I'm missing something, it's not a large enough something that it breaks things horribly. Pointers on where to look to fix this would be appreciated.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

3. quanin

quanin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Found the problem, actually. I'd enabled VERP for bounce probes in mmcfg.py some time ago. Apparently, doing so breaks things. Commenting it out and bounce processing handles as expected.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator