Mailman not functioning...

brianteeter

Well-Known Member
Jan 6, 2002
72
0
306
The apache log entry produced when a user tries to access Mailman is:

[Thu Mar 14 20:51:14 2002] [error] [client 151.200.246.161] Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/admin

Running the file at the command line produces:

[email protected] [/usr/local/apache/logs]# /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/admin
Content-type: text/html

&head&
&title&Mailman CGI error!!!&/title&
&/head&&body&
&h1&Mailman CGI error!!!&/h1&
The expected gid of the Mailman CGI wrapper did not match the gid as set by the Web server.&p&The most likely cause is that Mailman was configured and installed incorrectly. Please read the INSTALL instructions again, paying close attention to the &tt&--with-cgi-gid&/tt& configure option. This entry is being stored in your syslog:
&pre&
Failure to exec script. WANTED gid -1, GOT gid 0. (Reconfigure to take 0?)&/pre&

Note - there is no user ID -1. If I could find the configure script, I'd modify it to use 504 (the mailman ID) - but I cannot.

Does anyone know what mailman uses for a config file?

Thanks - Brian
 

brianteeter

Well-Known Member
Jan 6, 2002
72
0
306
OK, bad form I know replying to your own message. But here goes, from the Mailman FAQ:

So it seems that I need to recompile Mailman - but - I didn't compile it - it came with CPanel, so how do I fix this?

Thanks - Brian



Q. What if I get &document contains no data& from the web server, or mail isn't getting delivered, or I see &Premature end of script headers& or &Mailman CGI error!!!&
A. The most likely cause of this is that the GID that is compiled into the C wrappers does not match the GID that your Web server invokes CGI scripts with. Note that a similar error could occur if your mail system invokes filter programs under a GID that does not match the one compiled into the C mail wrapper.

To fix this you will need to re-configure Mailman using the --with-cgi-gid and --with-mail-gid options. See the INSTALL file for details.

These errors are logged to syslog and they do not show up in the Mailman log files. Problems with the CGI wrapper do get reported in the Web browser though, and include the expected GID, so that should help a lot.

You may want to have syslog running and configured to log the mail.error log class somewhere; on Solaris systems, the line

mail.debug /var/log/syslog

causes the messages to go to them in /var/log/syslog, for example. (The distributed syslog.conf forwards the message to the loghost, when present. See the syslog man page for more details.)

If your system is set like this, and you get a failure trying to visit the mailman/listinfo web page, and it's due to a UID or GID mismatch, then you should get an entry at the end of /var/log/syslog identifying the expected and received values.
 

feanor

Well-Known Member
Aug 13, 2001
836
0
316
Do a search through this forum, you will find many threads that pertain to this.... there are many possible fixes.

The easiest lies in tweaking your httpd.conf so that the user/group are set correctly as far as Mailman is concerned.

g00d luck
 
B

bdraco

Guest
Gid 0 is root's gid... something is seriously messed up in your httpd.conf
 

brianteeter

Well-Known Member
Jan 6, 2002
72
0
306
[quote:3d7ca7dfae][i:3d7ca7dfae]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:3d7ca7dfae]

Gid 0 is root's gid... something is seriously messed up in your httpd.conf[/quote:3d7ca7dfae]

Actually, I was running it on the command line as root.

The script

/scripts/fixmailmansuexec

did the trick to fix the problem.

Thanks - Brian