The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman only delivering to addresses on same server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by aww, Feb 21, 2005.

1. aww

aww Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our host is being totally useless on this problem for an entire week now so we desperately need help in telling them how to fix it.

Basically one of our mailman listservs has started behaving badly and only delivering emails to addresses located on the same server. All outside addresses will never get the mail. There doesn't seem to be any bounce messages, they just never get delivered.

The host insists that everything is okay, they checked the firewall and released all the queues, but the problem still persists. Where should I be telling them to look next?

Thanks for any help!

ps. this seemingy started after webmail stopped being able to send out email but they fixed that issue - the two may be coinsidence but maybe not

2. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Augh!

This is precisely happening to me!

For one domain (so far - I'm checking, but it appears to be just the one domain so far), messages sent out via mailman are bounced with no replies to any email address -- i.e. COMPLETELY farking SILENTLY...

In my /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/bounce log, it's FREAKING FULL of lines like the following:

(timestamp) listname_domain.com: email@address.com bounce score 1.0

...changed info to protect the guilty...

I get no notice of the bounce, and it shouldn't bouce.

What's really weird is that I can send email to these external addresses with no problems!

So it's got to be some mailman-specific issue. :-(

3. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right.

Here's what was causing it:

Max emails per hour per domain setting.

Duh!!!

I just wish there was some notation as to the exact error somewhere! Hell, even a message to root saying "user has just exceeded max emails per hour limit" or something would have helped me solve this...

What's sad is that I have NO FREAKING CLUE how much email was lost -- granted, oh granted, I set that setting... But it just didn't occur to me that lists would be counted.

Heck, internal domains AREN'T counted... I wouldn't have expected that, either...

*sigh*

It's technically very much my fault. Here's hoping anyone else having the problem stumbles across this message...

4. kransje

kransje Registered

Where to do?

Where can I set that option?

I don't know how to do?

Thanks,

Peter

5. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Root WHM >> Server Setup >> Tweak Settings >> The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited):

That should get you there... Unless you don't happen to have Root WHM, in which case, whomever has Root WHM must do it...