The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman-owner@userdomain.com = root

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by casey, Sep 5, 2003.

1. casey

casey Well-Known Member

2. JPmorgan

JPmorgan BANNED

You shouldnt even be getting this error. Again this bug has still not been fixed after reporting it muliptle times. I get it everyday, many times!!!

The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
    format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
    from it. This mailing list has been configured to send all
    unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. howard

howard Well-Known Member

the mailman-owner address is typically used by someone when they want to get
    in touch with the person responsible for running and managing mailman, which in the case servers running cpanel would be the person(s) with access to the root account hence why its sent there (although i hope you got the root mail address aliased to your own one)

When you say you get mails which are supposed to goto your customers are these exact copies of what you wrriten in a email to your customers, or bounces of it, or ?

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Re: Re: mailman-owner@userdomain.com = root

no ..no .. this is a real bug. Many times what happens is someone who has always posts to a list .. tries to post to any list and they get a rejection notice saying you can't post to that list. Well I have been getting people replying to that email addy and sending one back to me saying why can't I post to this list. Turns out all they did was hit reply to a list mail that came to them. The reply went to the servername list NOT the real list address. So what's happening is the emails that are going out to list members are getting the wrong "reply" email addresses stamped on them. I thought that /scripts/resetmailmanurls would fix it but after talking to Nick last night he said that script is for something else. I still get these false bounces to my mailman @ my box name all the time. It's busted!!! But I can't put my finger on why yet. Been dealing with this for about 2 months myself.

#4 rpmws, Sep 5, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  5. JPmorgan

JPmorgan BANNED

Re: Re: Re: mailman-owner@userdomain.com = root

Exactly!

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Re: Re: mailman-owner@userdomain.com = root

The e-mail I got was from a subscriber of one of my customers' mailing lists saying that they can't login. Come to think of it, if there really is something wrong I guess it is I that would need to fix it, but I would rather the e-mail first go to my customer and then my customer to forward it to me if it can't be solved. I don't have the time to deal with all the idiots that subscribe to my customers' mailing lists.

7. LS_Drew

LS_Drew Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see this fixed...kinda sucks to be getting 'unsubscribe' mails from people who are customers of freakin resellers...

8. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

I am facing the same problem as well and would definitely like to know how it can be fixed.

9. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

So if a message is a bounce "but either the bounce
    format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted"
    then the mailing list administrator will get it since "This mailing list has been configured to send all
    unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s)"

Perhaps you might change the list's configuration to discard such emails, but then you risk losing legit bounces that were mangled somehow and were not parsable.

10. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

I do not receive bounces, but since a few days I have started to receive mailman owner mail to. Of course this can be a coincident, but I never had it before.

Most of the mails are users replying to mailman system mails.

11. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yep we see that on others servers as well as of last night.

12. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

me 2 couple days

13. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I can confirm this. Anyone bother to submit a bug report?

14. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here is an example of the monthly reminder e-mail that goes out to all subscribers of a list. I've altered the domains in the example for privacy, but otherwise it is the exact copy:

• www3.host.com is the name of the hosting server
    • foo.com is the domain of the customer that owns the mailing list
    • user@aol.com is the list subscriber

Return-path: <Mailman-bounces@www3.host.com>
    Envelope-to: user@aol.com
    Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 05:45:26 -0500
    Subject: foo.com mailing list memberships reminder
    To: user@aol.com
    X-No-Archive: yes
    Message-ID: <mailman.5674.1096625998.7735.mailman@www3.host.com>
    Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 05:19:58 -0500
    Precedence: bulk
    X-BeenThere: Mailman@www3.host.com
    X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
    List-Id: Mailman site list <mailman.www3.host.com>
    X-List-Administrivia: yes
    Errors-To: Mailman-bounces@www3.host.com

So, it's pretty obvious what the problem is. The return path and errors-to headers are set to go to the main hosting server address, instead of the customer's domain. Shouldn't these headers be set to <mailman-bounces@foo.com> ???

Now, all the bounces for all the domains are coming to me. And if anyone replies to any of these messages (real replies, spam blocks and auto-responders), I get all those also. These should to go the customer, eh???

- Scott[

15. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Same here, I was hoping that it would have been fixed in the intervening month, year, etc ;) Voted on the bug.

17. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm really interested in hearing opinions on this issue, because the fix for this issue may be worse than the "problem" that you're complaining about.

The situation is that in a normal mailman installation a main list is needed. In all cases that I've seen, that mailing list is the "mailman" mailing list. This is how cPanel has opted to set up mailman, and this is the only way I believe that it should be set up. So mailman-(admin, bounces, confirm, join, leave, owner, request, subscribe, unsubscribe)@anydomainhostedonyourserver.tld, as well as mailman@anydomainhostedonyourserver.tld, all refer to a valid mailing list, the main server mailing list. That is, unless a virtual domain defines a "mailman" mailing list. Once a "mailman" mailing list is defined for a virtual domain, then messages to the "mailman" list for the virtual domain will go to that user's mailing list rather than the system mailing list.

The solutions to this "problem" are quite simple, but all of them have some very obvious drawbacks.

The first solution (and best IMHO) is to understand the problem as the sys. admin, then explain it to your customers that if they wish to receive messages directed to the "mailman" list for their virtual domain, then they will need to create and manage that mailing list for each virtual domain that has a mailing list. Then you as the sys. admin can quietly discard any messages to the "mailman" system mailing list.

The second solution would be to silently discard all messages to "mailman" for all domains on the server, including the system mailing list.

The third solution would be to route all mail to mailman[-whatever]@virtualdomain.tld to the user, destination configurable through the Mail Forwarders in cPanel.

The fourth solution would be to automatically create a mailman mailing list for each virtual domain with a mailing list.

The major drawback to the third and fourth solution would be that "mailman" mailing list addresses to nearly any cPanel hosted domain would be a valid email address. Hello Spammers!

Let me know if any of you have different/better ideas on how to best handle this issue.

18. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, I'd like to say to send them to /dev/null, but you really shouldn't be just deleting emails that could potentially be important with no means to receive them. Personally, I'd prefer the 3rd option. The user always has the option to forward them to :fail: if they don't want them or find that it's attracting spammers.

19. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ben - The problem is that these messages are NOT going to the virtualdomain at all. They were at one time but have since stopped and are now going @servername instead. We replaced ours with an different mailman binary and the mailman delivery is now oging to the virtualdomains as it should.

20. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So you're saying that you do have a "mailman" mailing list for the virtual domain, but it stopped receiving the messages. Then you replaced mailman, and the messages were being sent to the correct mailing list? That sounds more like an exim problem rather than a mailman problem.

Or are you saying that the return/reply address used the server's hostname rather than the virutal domain? If that is the case then it would appear to be an issue unique to your system rather than a general mailman bug. I've never seen that happen myself and I run several mailing lists through cPanel.

I thought the 3rd option would be more popular, but I really hate giving spammers such an easy target.